1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lost one today...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LA LAWNS, Mar 26, 2003.

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

Here's one that may sound familiar...
    I went to a customers lawn today after calling her to see if she was ready for a spring cleaning. "Sure" she stated on the phone.
    When I got to the job the lawn was well over run with tall weeds. I asked if I could charge $20 extra to get the lawn back in shape. The reg. price is $55. After being turned down on my last three visits by this woman, to service her lawn, she flipped out at my proposal. She declined and said she will find someone else. She said it was my fault her lawn looked the way it did.
    She declined my last three attemps to maintain her lawn! I have mowed her lawn for a couple of years now...B****!
  2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it does sound familiar. Last year, did you raise her price a little bit, making her try to screw you out of a few mowings, in order to save money?
  3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

forget about people like that there just old biddies that are going to die alone.they think everyone that does work to there home is little tommy around the corner
  4. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I think it's important to explain verbally to your customers when they sign up, right after they sign the contract that clearly states weekly service from xx date to xx date, that you DO NOT skip mowings. I've been telling to this to all my customers and so far, no one has seemed too concerned. I explain that "during the summer if we get a drought, I'll still be mowing the lawn. You'll probably be watering anyway, but just so you know. I can't afford to skip mowings...my insurance company and all my other regular monthly bills don't care anything about droughts. Fair enough?"

So far, it seems to be working.

DFW, TX
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

There's your first problem. I would tell her since she skipped on mowing the price is doubled. I don't even bother with people like that. If they want to skip a week, and when you get there, it has two weeks of growth on it, charge them double. If they don't want to pay then walk. Your doing twice the work so you should be paid for it.

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

No I didnt raise her price. In fact I have never raised her price in the couple of years that I have been servicing het lawn. LA LAWNS
  7. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

She gives me a headache just by reading this post.

Id drop her faster than a top fuel dragster can run the 1/4 mile!