lost seven lawn's today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by METRO 36, Jul 29, 2006.

1. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

Lost seven lawn's today due to the forestfire burning in my area, the lawns are burnt to a crisp. They were all on one street, and i dont want to sound like an a@# or anything because i do feel bad for the homeowner's.

but it just goe's to show how one thing affect's so many. Thunder storm=forest fire,burned home's and lawn's,cost homeowner lot's of cash,fear and frustrastion. cost lco 35x7 weekly now i gotta find something to do on my tuesday morning's.

At the same i can potentially make up my lose by installing sod, planting tree's,new hedge's etc.

Are there some other areas that natural diaster's also have this effect, florida,california,etc.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Thats rough to be sure...Sorry to hear...*trucewhiteflag*

3. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

chin up metro:)

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Roll with the punches, and keep a stiff upper lip. Sorry about the luck. Everyone has challenges.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Metro, I unerstand. That fire is pretty nasty out there. This fall things should look up. What is the size of the fire now?

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Metro, ... you didn't say explicitly about the homes. If the lawn is "burned to a crisp" because of the fire, then can we presume the houses are burned to the ground? I doubt the fires would only take out the lawn and leave the structures standing.

If this is the case, then the issue is far greater than merely loosing a lawn cut. The homeowners will have to rebuild from the ground up. They have much greater concerns than having their lawn mowed.

7. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

It only sounds like you lost one day of mowing (Tuesday). Just think about the LCO's down in our southern part of the country from the hurricanes Rita and the big one Katrina. They guys lost all there work! So just look at it as a VERY small loss as to what it could have been. But I do understand it still sucks to lose accounts. I am having a terriable year due the lack of rain. I gained new accounts this spring and things were looking awesome but then no rain. Boy you just cannot take ANYTHING for granted in this business.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but a few years ago around here when Hurricane Isabel hit several other companies and myself didn't mull over lost cookies long to see the opportunity that was presented: A lot of downed trees and many yards in shambles, most of us went into overdrive to provide customers emergency yard restoration services. Of course some had their money problems, those as a general rule we can not service, and we didn't gouge but provided our services at the usual rates, still we made out like bandits, it was one of the most profitable six months in my business. So profitable in fact, it enlightened me as to why there exist storm and disaster chaser Lco's (such as which you will likely be seeing soon in your area), if it's so good for them, heck, you're already there!

Time for you guys to offer lawn restorations: You know, core aeration / lime / fert / seed, stuff like that. Probably you will have some (or a lot) cleanup to do, do what you gotta do, but most certainly I would take full advantage of all this extra work suddenly come around.

It is a blessing in disguise, I am telling you. We all know it is a terrible thing but it can't be helped, you didn't create it, the customer didn't start it, all we can do is make the best of it, and that's what I'd recommend in this case.

9. UBRKIFIX

UBRKIFIX LawnSite Member

sorry to hear it metro hang in there look at the up side the FD might need a extra man!:)

10. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

There have been structures lost, but none where my client's. The fire fighting crews water down the lawns and tree's also the house's. As we are in a drought it didnt help much.

this particlar area was a fairly new subdivision the tree's where only abought 10 feet high, a fire fighter told me that was the only thing that saved all those house's. Because there was really no fuel (they also slurry bombed the house's)

last i heard the fire is just over 3500 acre's and still going if i remember right so far we have lost 7 houses and abought 10 out buildings shop's barns,and sheds.,etc.