Lost some clients... and that's a good thing!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by twins_lawn_care, Apr 13, 2005.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Well, this being our second full year, we have lost a few of our customers. I believe it is a good thing though, as we can focus on getting the best client base this way.

We raised some of our prices on customers whose yards were either underpriced, or too far, or simply a pain for some other reason last year.
    They have simply moved on, and we are fine with that.

We have learned that there are many customers out there, and by concentrating on keeping the drive time down, we'll profit more.

So this year we lost 3 from last year, but picked up 3 which were all:
    1) less drive time
    2) pay more
    3) take about the same time to service

just something we are learning as we go, that losing a customer isn't the end of the world.

and we do not intend to lose customers on account of bad service, rather we just price accordingly, and let them decide.

looking to be a good year for us. thanks to everyone on this site who has helped along the way as we continue to grow!

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty much the same thing here. I haven't heard back from a few that recieved price increses, but it is just as well becasue I have more than replaced them with better, closer, nicer more profitable accounts.

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I can empathize with you. I lost 2 accounts I was counting on. I worried about it for a while and scrutinized my service. Both were a pita, one was old and the other was trying to live a little above their means. Neither was a service issue and I feel good about losing them now. Sometimes we hold on to what we have and it holds US back. When we're small, I think we try to hold on to anything. I still have my very first customers but, if they become a pita, they'll have to go. I haven't done any high end residentials yet but, I have gotten some commercial properties and I prefer them for now.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

looks like you are on your way to being profitable.

i has taken me almost 15 years to build up a good client base.

two years ago we gave up a $100K/year + client...... Man was that hard to do... BUT we make alot more money now becuase we have filled that time with more profitable work.