Lost Stilh Br 400 on trailer. Good timing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Jul 18, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I lost my Br-400 blower today. It was suppose to be firmly secured in the Jungle Jims. However, when I got home, the unit was gone.....My worker assures me that he properly secured the item prior to transport..... It is gone...and I am not particularly upset. I have been wanting to replace this dinosaur, which is hard to start for a long time.

What is the best to buy? The Red Max? The Echo?

I'll have to buy a replacement come Monday, or tomorrow, Saturday, I want to know what you think is the best blower to buy and why.

I actually wasted my time to backtrack hoping to find a pile of parts in the road. I sure hope that whoever found her, can use her. I was about ready to hurt her it in the hot July heat, because of her disposition. You know, the routine, pull on choke 4-5 times, pull an additional 3-6 pull to get it to fire off. I was the only one who knew her intimately. The newbies always flooded her, which left her useless I found time to revive her. A pain in the a**.
    I don't need that piece of doggie do. I'm glad I didn't find her because I'd be stuck with using it until either it or I wore out.

What is the best blower on the market?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Bring up redmax or echo and you'll start a war:), do a search here for the best of opinions:)

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I bought the Echo 750 and love it. I saw the comparisons between just about all blowers at an open house and the Echo blew away (pardon the pun) all of them. Get out and demo for a true life comparison.

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

How much did your Echo cost? I am shopping for the best deal in town. The place I will probably buy from sells the Echo and the Red Max, I think they are priced about the same.

5. We have an echo 750 and it is one great blower, we purchased it in the spring and paid 499.00, i have seen them sell for up to 540.00.
    As it was suggested, demo whats out there and see what works for you.

Steve :cool:

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The power difference is monumental. The Redmax is also quieter and starts easily.

Running well, the Stihl makes 3.35 Horsepower, the Redmax makes 4.75. That's nearly 50% more power.

Sorry for your loss. The sad part is we sold the BR400's on EBAAY for $225-$240.00. Even as a parts junker that won't run they fetch $75 or so on EBAY.

Ken

7. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

shindaiwa eb630

8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

yup!

shindaiwa EB630

Dry weight * 19.7 lbs (9.0 kg)
    Displacement 3.8 in (62 cc)
    Power 3.9 hp (2.9 kw) @ 7500 rpm
    Output 201 mph (613 cfm)
    Fuel tank capacity 67.6 oz (2.0 liters)
    Noise rating 75 dB(A)

RedMax EB7000

Engine: Pro-G26L
    Engine Displacement: 62.0 cc
    Carburetor: Diaphragm with Purge Pump
    Ignition System: Solid State
    Fuel Capacity: 4.43 pints
    Dry Weight: 21.1 lbs
    Air Volume: 730 cfm
    Air Speed: 204 mph
    Noise Level: 73 dB(A)
    Warranty: 1 Year Commercial, 2 Years Consumer

the shin is lighter, and only flows 4MPH slower than the RedMax. keep in mind though, RedMax measures their blowers w/ the tube off and shindaiwa measures them w/ it on(except for weight).

im not sure on the price of the RedMax but the eb630 Shins are going for about 460-475 around here.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

List is around $530 retail, I think I paid about 5 including tax.

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I never have a problem starting either my br400 or my br420. Both are great blowers, imho. Had the 400 for about 5 years now.

:D