lot clearing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sbvfd592, Jun 26, 2002.

1. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

OK well i dont know what place to put this in but ... how menny of you clear lots? i have 4 of them to do for a buddy of myne and was whundering if any of you have small wood chippers there is one for sale that reel old but still works has like a 25 hp but what do you think of theos dr stuff i only need it for nothing over 6 or 7 inches i will make firewood out of the rest but help me out hear . i have no clue and i do know how to sub it out to but it may be woth it to get a cheep old one . if any of you have one let me know how big and stuff
  2. grasmo

grasmo LawnSite Member
    from fl

we have an olathe chipper. 25 pto hp min. and 50 pto hp max. it will grind up to 6". we've never ground anything bigger than about 4". it's on a 50 hp tractor and it really gets lugged down with 4".
  3. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

I see that you are in lower fairfield county. I work for a guy who is in the land clearing biz. I know that he can sub out the work if you wish... price range for clearing it is $2,500 to $5,000 depending on what you want... but he could give you a better price range after looking at it maybe... email me if you are interested on it.

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look in to renting med size chipper. If you watch the DR commercial real close that six inch log they grind has been sitting on the ground for 10 years. The small fresh limbs they grind have all the little branches trimmed off. Caveat Emptor.

5. sbvfd592

ya but i just like whana get one so i can use it whne i get larget
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Your 15 ...sub it out
  7. sbvfd592

im 16 now and its for a buddy who dose the work but is just too small of a job for him and there no excavateing so he dosent whant it i will have a 2500 hd to move the chipper with soi cant go to big
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

go get that baby . had a chance to pick one up for 200 with my trailer deal and passed on it. wish id bought it. it will sit a lot ,but theres times u really need one.
  9. sbvfd592

do any of you clear lots ?
  10. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

I have cleared lots before. There is really no money in it if you are doing it the normal way. There is a lot of money in it if you know what you are doing and the customer is willing to pay to have it done the right way.

Couple things to mention here...
    1) get paid by check!
    3) state in your contract that "customer is responsible for all permits"
    4) also in your contract "customer is responsible for marking all boundaries"
    5) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LIABILITY / WC INSURANCE! They don't have to pay you if you can't come up with those documents!
    6) Rent a chipper; 12" minimum with diesel / hydraulic wheel lift / autofeed.
    7) Get a machine there, either bobcat with grapple or an excavator.
    8) unless you have a lot of big trees... chip as much as you can.
    9) get several good chain saws and chains.
    10) lot clearing usually produces a LOT of chips and a good chunk of wood if you have big trees.
    11) To go with insurance... MAKE SURE YOU ARE COVERED FOR COMMERCIAL TREE REMOVAL! that is one of the most expensive coverages to get... however if you are clearing and a tree falls on the road and hits a car... well you will be very happy you had it.
    12) get something called a "big shot" should be about $100.
    13) get a throw ball and slick line, cost should be about $30 or so
    14) get a 200' piece of rope 5/8" thick; approximate cost should be about $200 - $250
    15) get familiar with at least 2 knots... 1) running bowline 2) bowline on a bite
    16) buy chaps for anybody who will use a chain saw!
    17) buy heavy duty gloves!
    18) get at least one pitchfork
    19) get wedges and a good sledge hammer
    20) get hardhats with ear and face shields for EVERYONE on site.

how big are these lots?