Lot pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 13, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering how you price empty lot's compared to one having a home. I just got about 7 lots about 1/2 acre each (owned by a bank) two have homes. It will be very easy to knock out the empty lots especially since they are all close together, some are connected and some are a few lot's apart. Should I charge half as much for the empty lot's? 2/3? Very competitive market here. I have done business with them before so he never even asked about the price, but I don't run into multiple empty lots in the same street very often. I want to be competitive and fair but make money also. So do they get a big discount being so close and empty? What's your usual practice in these matters.

Or should I just consider the 5 empty lots as one 2 1/2 acre lot and price accordingly?
  2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Around here we usually only mow empty lots 2-4 times a season so the price is usually based on $100hr. due to only being rough graded and dealing with the tall weeds. We do a couple neighborhoods where we cut the emptys every 2-3 weeks so we charge a regular mow price on each lot per time. We still trim the curbs and walks and have to blow stuff off. They save by not paying for weekly and we make decent money when we do them.
  3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

If your able to park in one spot and service all the lots i would consider it one large lot with pricing, theres very little trimming no flower beds to watch out for. overall seems like a quick in out mow job. I don't recall if you said how often then would be mowed and to what level of quality but if they just wanna keep it from becoming over grown i would go on the lower side price wise. Sounds like the easiest money to be made all season.
  4. tacoma200

3-4 times per month. Very easy, the 5 empty lots are about 2 1/2 acres clear not obsticles. I'll charge the usual for the lot's with houses.
  5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Lance i think a very small discount maybe wise. Not real Big But attractive enough ,for you to make your money. It also lets the bank know you appreciate There Business. Just my .2 cents thou.
  6. tacoma200

Thanks very much for the replies. I stand to gain a dozen or so jobs so I don't want to make a mistake. I am replacing the last mowing crew due to poor service and cut so I need to make a good impression.