1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lots of calls, lots of price shoppers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

This year I have put out advertising BIG TIME. I have the phone ringing all day for lawn care estimate requests.

I respond to the potential customers quickly, and provide them professional bid sheets describing the services and rates. I am maybe only getting 1 % of the callers to sign up.

It seems that my "professional image" and so forth are worth nothing when the next guy comes along and bids everything for less. My prices are very competitive too.

This year I lost my biggest account to a newbie who bid it for $15,000 less a year!!! The account had nothing but praises for our work last season, never a complaint. $15.000 less a year
  2. ManleyLawn

ManleyLawn LawnSite Member

wow that hurts!!!! i find that a lot you know if they are calling and they haven't been referred by another customer that they probably got the phone book out or saw your truck and thought they would get a "good rate" or something... I'm not sure but you can kinda guess what they are looking for: i.e first sentence is about money........... or they say they aren't looking for a good job... so on so on.........bargain hunters not quality hunters
  3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to the REAL world of lawn maintenance! i love it when the guys post that they are double the price of everybody else and still getting all the work!,,,,,as if!
  4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

The same who say they dont negotiate on price on here but dont waste 5 mins. doing it in the real world.
  5. robin 2

robin 2 LawnSite Member

Help the new guy out. Type his name in on the cleveland county's property tax website or Oklahoma county site @
    www.oklahomacounty.org/asseessor if you know where he lives. See if he is paying taxes on his equipment if not turn him in. Don't forget he went first.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

robin, you sayin he turned u in 4 something?
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Wow 15k is a huge difference! Thats terrible news...I hope things start to look up for you.
  8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on the size of the account. Thats only 10% on a $150,000 job.
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

well, this fellow will soon learn about the flaws of under bidding. I wouldnt worry-the joke will be on him and his work will speak for itself.

Keep hope up Gene.
  10. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

ya 15,000 less and his work probaly won't be as good. i get customers who i charge 25.00 to the yard and they call up and say joe "i don't pay taxes" schmo will cut it for 20 or less. the following year they call and kiss my butt to get back on the route. and complain about joe "i don't pay my taxes" schmo cheap garbage cut.