Lots of Clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LushGreenLawn, May 14, 2010.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone noticed certain brands of mowers leaving more clippings than others? I have a JD with the 7 Iron Deck, and it seems like I am always leaving clippings, having to double cut, even when the lawns have not grown that much. I have heard people say that JD's leave alot of clippings.

I have been mowing, leaving clippings everywhere, but watching the contractor mowing the property next door with a Toro or Exmark, same grass type/height and the lawn looks great with no visible clippings.

I have tried gator blades, they still leave clippings and don't leave a manicured cut. (even with the gator high lifts)

Any thoughts?

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

What 7iron deck are you using?

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Yeah, but you can cut wet grass without any trouble. The Exmark keeps the grass in deck longer and mulches it up more. Not good for wet grass though.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are running a JD with a 7 Iron, make sure you are getting at least 3,600 rpms no load. The 7 Iron decks will lake luster if the rpms fall slightly below 3600. I actually have my 757's set to run 3650 under load, even that makes a hell of a difference in how much the clippings get chopped up.

5. tstutz

tstutz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Yes i have noticed this. My old jd left clippings and it drove me absolutly nuts! Now my new Wright ztr leaves very little visible clippings. I actually had them cut side by side and the Wright discharged clippings that were a third of the size the jd would release. This is because the Wright along with ExMarks will hold the clippings in the deck longer to mulch them up. Also in the comparison in clipping size you must know that the Wright was running a set of stock high lift blades. No gators. I have a set ordered so the clippings should look similar to dust :)

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I mowed a yard today that was at least 10" high and thick! I used the ferris 23/61" set on 3.5" I had to double cut it, but it left nothing behind and didnt even clog the deck!!! I was amazed, my exmarks would have clogged within 5 minutes and left lots of clippings behind too, The only reason I can think of is the ferris doesnt have the front deck baffle like the exmarks have? That is really the only difference between the ferris DD and my exmark TT???

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe try the 3 wood lol

8. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

Are you cutting with the chute still on?

9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 48" 7 iron II deck. I will check the engine RPMs.

I use a powerchute, and when its safe to do so, I mow with it all the way up to try to disperse clippings more.

I'm starting to think I need to look at new mowers.

10. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

i have the same deck that you have and my rpm were low around 3200 after they increased them to 3600 it made a world of difference. but i cut through 6 inch wet grass on 3.5 and it throws it to were u don't see it. I'm running hi lifts