Lots of divots lately!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Brian M, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

Lately I've been having problems making alot of divots when turning with my 48" LZHP. I've been ok most of my first year with a Z but all of a sudden divots left and right.
    What could be the problem?
    Could it be the machine or me?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Brian

It could be either or neither. If a machine is performing well and then a new issue arises we must consider the machine, the operator or the turf.

As the season change and weather patterns change the condition of the sod can change dramatically causing more divots than you are accustom to seeing.

It's also possible that a dampner can be showing signs of wear and may be in need of replacement. These tend to fail or weaken over time and so you don't notice a change until a problem arises. Generally they'll fail one at a time but it's possible for both to wear at the same rate.

We also need to look at the operator. Often as we get better and better running a machine we can forget the basics. Our steering and motion of the drive lever begins to become "automatic" and we forget to give a the mower enough reverse when making a turn or we begin our turn before we have slowed enough. That's why a quarterback must practice throwing a ball or a batter must practice batting. When things become too "automatic" we can forget those little things that make a difference when making turns.

Thanks

Terry

3. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for the reply Terry,

I thought it might very well be me but I did slow things down and tried to be more careful in the turns when I started noticing more divots than normal.

Tell me more about the dampners, are they they shock absorbers connected to the handles?

I was also wondering if the handles are out of adjustment, ie: one side reponds quicker than the other or is that a dampner problem.

How do I check my dampners?

I've noticed lately that when going wide open I have to let off the right drive lever consistently to keep moving in a straight line where before it was one side or the other, and so it appears the left drive is out of adjustment maybe?

4. eXmark

Brian,

The dampener is much like a shock absorber. It kinda slows things down and keeps things in control and prevents rapid irratic movements. When a damepner begins to go south you'll often notice that one tire will spin quicker than the other or if you pull the two sticks from forward to reverse one stick moves quicker than the other.

There is also a "dead band" between forward and reverse. This "dead band" is a small area of travel in the dampener stroke where there is little or not dampening. As the dampener begins to fail the "dead band" length increases and makes the drive lever control a little more uncontrolled if you will.

When in doubt have your dealer check it out.

Thanks

Terry

5. bracketshark

bracketshark LawnSite Member

Brian, my 60" lazer z had that same drifting problem, I corrected it by changing both shock absorbers then properly airing all of the tires, then I adjusted the control levers per the service manual. These were small adjustments and I didn't have any idea my problem would be corrected but when I was through my mower tracks now tracks correctly. Hope my experience will help, I put up with the drifting for over a year and it took about 1 hour to correct.

6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Terrry, you know i am a sick sick man. Personally i rather liked it when my dampner was out. Would have been better if both had gone but oh well. The only time it was a hassle was when i was trying to go slow to get on the trailer. It tended to bounce a bit. But talk about responsive!

7. eXmark

Acute Cut,

You are correct.......................you are a sick sick man. Isn't it great when one of the factory guys finally publically admits that he agrees with you on something.........just have'n fun.

Terry