Lots of ?? in one post.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowgli, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I am rewrite my contract for next year. I just want to know, how late into the season do you cut? Until the and of Oct, or until snow started to fall?
    If you cut past Oct, what do you do w/ the leaves? i heard some local companies charge double for bagging the leave until late or the End of Oct. I just want to know what method is works best?
    Also, What is a fair % to charge for late payment? I was thinking 5%.
    Thank you.
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure the people in Florida will tell you there season is never over...in alaska they may tell you now, here in jersey around thanksgiving...

get the picture?

Speak to your accountant and/or attorney about the late fees. There is a law in jersey about the limit of a late charge...i believe it is 1.5% per month or something...look at your state rules...if any???
  3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

heres what ric told me he did for fl cutting and i do to also.
    month / cuts per month
    jan / 2
    feb / 2
    march / 2-3
    april / 2-4
    may / 2-4
    june / 4
    july / 4-5
    aug / 4-5
    sept / 3-4
    oct / 3-4
    nov / 2-3
    dec / 3
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Said it before and I'll say it again. You might want to try actually gaining a degree of experience in the field before striking out on your own. I'd feel silly out there selling to customers who know more about when the grass stops growing than I did. You might not make a ton but you'll gain experience and learn things you won't just blundering through it on your own. Even a few months of employment would be useful.

The rest of us who tire of losing accounts to lowballers who haven't a clue on pricing or other things would appreciate it.

We do appreciate the cheap barely used equipment we find for sale on Ebay, though.
  5. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I guess since my accounts tripled last year based solely on referrals, I must do something right (clients tell me I'm respectful, prompt, efficient). Maybe you lose accounts from your attitude, not lowballers. (if you don't see my bid, how do you know I'm lowballer. I walk away from jobs where people try to undercut industry standards). Speaking of blunders, is tiger cub the cheap equipment you're talking about. I won't be selling mine soon.
    LB1234: Thanks for tip about late fee. I appreciate professionals on this board who remember what's it's like starting out.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Your profile says you been doing this part time for 2 yrs so you should at least know when the grass goes dormant in your area on average.:dizzy:
  7. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I never asked when grass goes dormant. Here in midwest leaves start falling this time of year but it's too early for total yard cleanup. In past, I just mow and leave debris cuz my rates for fall clean up are different and that's more in Nov/Dec. Some local co's charge double for mow in Oct cuz of few extra leaves. What do you guys do for this in-between time?
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your post implied you haven't even been mowing (or even observing grass growing!) for a full season. Asking those with experience "how late in the season" we cut sure sounds to me like you don't know when the grass stops growing.

And as for your number of accounts "tripling"....do I need to point out how silly that sounds, seeing as you started from scratch last year?

Yes, I do recall how it was starting out. I also recall that I worked for a more experienced individual part time for a season so I knew what the hell I was doing out there.

I seriously doubt that if you don't know when your competition stops mowing in the Fall (or have even performed leaf cleanup during regular maintenance visits rather than one-time tarp n rake jobs) you can accurately price accounts. That was my point.
  9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Why do you think it sounds silly? You don't think it's possible to go from 2 to 6 accounts in one year? :p
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here in virginia it all depends... A FEW yards stop growing as early as October and all of them gradually drop out with the last few grow right up until Xmas, basically... So, play it by ear, I always say, things can vary by a few weeks each year, too.

Far as the leaves, early-bird leaves are free of charge with me (that's all the stuff comes down BEFORE it comes down HEAVY). Then some people want me to do the nasty cleanup which is not free and others have different arrangements, all of which is fine by me so long they don't expect me to clean it ALL up in spring 'for free'... So far I've never had a regular customer pull this on me but I have had a few call me in the spring for 'regular grass-cutting' and when I get there to give the ... Wait, that's another story.