Lots of Info here..BUT!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kris, May 5, 2001.

1. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I will start this by saying that there is lots of info at this site and that for the most part I really enjoy it. What is bothering me is all the mention of "scrubs,Getto aparments,low lifes" etc etc. Did everyone who uses these phrases start out with a brand new truck and equipment? Did you never "lowball" by mistake? Did you grow up in a fancy neighbor hood where drug and alcohol was never part of the makeup? It is my opinion and only mine that these phrases should not be used... Do I think that because I am now more fortunate then some others that I am better than anyone else??? Absolutely not!!! I welcome competition and am well aware that some day that so called scrub may be a top notch business man/women with a thriving company.

2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Let me tell ya, we live in a day in age where most people think living in the ghetto and the slums is cool. Hell we even have a person here that braged and lied that he grew up in a gang and then posted that he thanks god that he grew up in a loving and middle class christian home. Lets face it, yes most of us didn't start out with a new truck, but when we have someone out there that is willing to cut someone that has been in the biz for years and then do work that is less than proffessional, than more or less the word scrub can be used to describe such a person. More often than not, the person that shows up in a beat up truck that can't hardly pass inspection and probably don't even pay insurance is not the person I want to describe as being a landscape professional.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

As I have posted before, we all started at the bottom unless the lawn business was handed down to us and it wasn't handed over to me.

Low ballers do not bother me, their work reflects their price and they soon go out of business. I lost a customer to one a few years ago and within 1 month, they wanted me back, but I raised the price $5 a cut and they still wanted me. These lower priced guys know the value of their work and I know the value of mine.

When I bid the lawn below, they called me for the bid. This was a referral from their friend that we do. They told me that I was $15 higher than their present LCO. I said are you happy with them? They said no. Their lawn was thin and weedy. I told them I could get it looking like their friends lawn, but it wouldn't happen over night. I told them what all I would have to do to get it in shape. I asked them to try me for one season and if it didn't look better at the end, go back to your other LCO. You get what you pay for. This was 3 years ago and they have been a great steady year around customer and they have given us referrals too.

I wish I had a before picture, but here is an after. ;)
    [​IMG]

4. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I calls as I sees 'um.
    Too many folk take and do not give back. They choose to live like animals. We can't run behind them 24/7 and clean up their litter. Therefore I judge them as "low".
    Heck they might make it to heaven where I might not as I am judging them. I keep my property clean as do my neighbors. Why can't they take on some responsibilty .

Yes my first truck was a 10 year old dodge in 1986 with a new 21" and trimmer but I was licensed from day one. The next year I bought a new truck which I still use and I am still licensed. I won't budge from making 43$ an hour as a solo operator. Someone who works for half that is a scrub. Someone who works on the sly is a scrub. Someone who does bad work is a scrub.

I believe harsh words are necessary.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the scrub talk and condecending attitudes posted here on occasion used to bother me when I first joined the forum.

but I soon learned that my profit margin is probably as high as anyones here.

and that makes this scrub feel pretty darned good.

GEO

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Kudos twotoros,

I worked hard to keep my azz out of the slums. If I have to work harder than I will. I do feel that some people are down on their luck and that some people do need help, but when you work less than 40 hrs. a week and don't even try to earn your keep, then don't try to cry the blues to me. I am glad that they rid the country of the welfare system, and the only ones that cried the blues about it was the Democrats. I really don't need to here someone telling me that they have been oppressed for years and that life is hard for them, when it is us, the working class, that usually end up paying their way somehow.

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I said my peace and will say no more.. I agree that people get what they pay for.
    PS. Eric..that is one great looking property..you should be proud!!!

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I work for $20.00 an hour. I'm am fully licensed and insured from day one. All my equipment is commerical grade and new or nearly new, and in excellent shape, and I do very good quality work. But I am a solo operator and do work for $20.00 per hour because, that it all my market will bear. Am I a scrub. I don't think so!

9. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Eric hit the nail on the head. These guys don't bug me at all. I had two accounts last year that I lost to a low baller. Guess who called me back this year. I will never under cut to pick up any jobs. I had a job just this week that I estimated. This complex had 13 Commercial buildings. Needless to say I didn't pick it up, but I'm not mad. It is what it is. Not all jobs you estimate you pick up. I am not going to do a rush job because I priced wrong. So to all the scrubs out there I thank you for @#@#$ing up. In the end it just makes my work stick out that much more, As the old saying goes you get what you pay for.
    Travis
    AG&G Lawn Maintenance

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a question some of you say you lost an account to a "scrub", how do you know this? do you go back to see, you have that much spare time?