Lots Of New Competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 man crew, Apr 3, 2003.

1. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Just an observation this year after doing my usual 5000 flyers.
    I noticed a few new lco's with flyers in the same area as me. In the 2 local papers I've noticed over 5 new companies in each paper. No one seems to be way low but some are offering 10% discounts, 1 free cut, or discount package deals.( fine with me) When I first started I think there was 4 or 5 lawn mowing ads total in each paper. I would get around 4 calls a day. With all the new ads I now have to get creative with my advertising. It's kinda fun trying to out smart the new guys!

I also noticed one lco using one of Eric Elm's lawn pics on their flyer. That makes me a little upset if that person does not have permission.

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet this company doesn't have permission to use the ELM photo. But it does tell you a Lawnsite member or lurker is in your neighborhoods.

Good luck with your flyer blitz.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I have noticed alot of new companies around. Usually when the economy takes a hit, you will see alot of new faces looking to make a buck. Don't worry about prices, stick to your quality.

I went on an estimate the other day and gave the guy a price. As I was there another company pulled up and outbid me while I was there. I asked the customer "why did you even bother wasting my time?". He said "what do you mean?". So I told him he should have told me he was shopping around looking for the cheapest price, that I would not have even come out here. I also said, I do not sell my prices, I sell quality, and craftsmanship. At that point he turned to the other company and said, "thanks for your time". Needless to say I got the job, got "my" price, and got a new customer for maintenance.

When I see ads and things like that, I shake my head. But on the other end, you have to be cocky sometimes. I just think, there is no competition, and keep up my reputable work.
    :cool:

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

5000 Fliers? Some day I hope to be that huge. Or at least?

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

The same thing happened to me today... I called the client to inform him I was coming, the wife said sure come on over, he is working in the back yard.

I show up 20 mins later to find him talking to another LCO. I walked up introdued myself, and kindly told him cya later:angry:

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, now you guys are afraid to bid on a property because the customer has the sense to get a few estimates and compare prices and companies and what they have to offer. None of you ever shop or get quotes for things? Find out who and what is out there?

I TELL my customers to get quotes. I'm sure enough in myself and company that I welcome the challenge. If I lose the bid, such is life. At least I tried to sell my service rather than huffin' and puffin' away like a baby.

Be a professional for cryin' out loud. Let the other company give their sales pitch and then approach the potential client when the other is done. I'm beginning to realize why some people on this site have problems in business.

7. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

You wouldn't have to be "huge" to do 5000 flyers, although it would definitely take a while to pass out that many by yourself. One person said he could average 1 flyer per minute. If this is an average time, that would be aproximately 80 hours of work, if I did my math right. If business was slow you could probably do it in 2 weeks, assuming you could average 1 flyer per minute. Or you could pay somebody to pass them out. Last time I checked there was a company that did this for 10 cents each, or $500. For that price I wonder if it would be better to place an ad in the paper?

8. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i hear yah
    i looked in the yellow pages and saw just in my town which had 11 landscapers last year.now has 26

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah Basstalker, I would have ate that opportunity up. As I stated in my last post, I ended up getting the job, and my price. I actually knew the other LCO, but everyone that knows me knows that I am a nice guy but business is business. He wanted to beat me with price, so I hit him with quality. :cool:

10. Christianstine

Christianstine LawnSite Member

:)

We shouldn't be suprised to see are own advertising techniques used.After all we offer help to anyone who asks a question on this board(DUH)
    Brian from Mi.:angry: