Lots of new guys in the biz!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Apr 15, 2005.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have noticed this season that there are lawn trailers on every corner. In the paper I used to advertise in, the most ads you would see would be one column. Now there are two full columns. And whats worse, one week youll see an ad advertising to do yards for $15 and then someone will put an ad next week saying theyll mow for $10.

Thanks to all this lowballing, I'm down 30% in accounts and not getting any good responses to my ads or flyers.

I have laid off my help and will just have to mow alone to make up for the lost income...

Oh well...its a free country...a guy can charge whatever he wants... Hell, why not just mow for $1 per yard! Youll get lots of biz!

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah well, I won't even look at a lawn unless I can pay the homeowner for the privelllage. ;) I don' need anyone else to put me out of business, I can do that all by myself.Thankyou.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I think this year is the worst I have seen. You can get a yard cut cheaper, much cheaper than you could 5 years ago. Im really getting concerned because I see a downward trend happening here. I and you know you cant do a yard for 10 bucks but it will still lower the market price big time then it takes awhile to get prices back up again. I noticed that it is not just my area but seems to be all over.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Yep. All you newbies out there take heed. That $40000 in loans and credit you took on to make $10 a lawn is going to come due some day. Which means that all this time the pittance you have been charging, isn't going to pay your bills. You're going to wash out and end up unemployed anyway, why not just quit now and save yourself the bad credit you're going to get when the collection company comes looking for that brand new exmark you bought this year? Come on. $10 lawns can't pay for insurance, lawn mowers, truck payment, gas, and manage to save enough to get you through the winter. Not to mention the money Uncle Sam is going to want next April. Where are you going to come up with that at $10 a lawn? Sure it's easy to get into the business, but do you really want to? There's no future in it for you. Only the guys who have been around long enough to know the business are going to make it. Give it up now, save us all the time and hassel. Before you know it, the economy will turn around, and you can get a regular job where you can work 9 to 5 and come home and forget it. Doesn't that sound so much better? Come on, get out now while you can. Spend the summer watching tv and swimming. You'll be far better off for it. It's only April 15, you still have time to do nothing this season.

Take my advice, do it now.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

well the new guy/bad employee threads are here. Just a few quick months and the endless leaf threads will begin. How did everyone get customers when they started? Did you sell your lack of experience and knowledge?

6. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

I'm not saying it's the way to go, but what if the lowballer can cut a yard in 15 minutes each for $15. That's $60 an hour or $45 for 20 mins. per lawn.

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Oh, They don't have to worry about Uncle Sam because he won't have anything due to him at those prices. :p

8. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I paid cash for everything. Since I already owned the truck, it was closer to $7k anyway.

Assuming my wife never gets a raise again, we have enough money to pay the bills for at least 2-3 years. Of course, she will keep getting raises and I will get customers so, I guess I'll be here for at least 4-5 years.

Oh, and I might have mentioned this before, my last job involved selling $15-35,000+ hardware & software solutions against companies who gave their stuff away AND gave away millions of dollars of marketing money just to get the consumable sales, so, I'm not too worried about lowballers with mowers in their trunks.

You guys keep complaining and I'll just keep trying new ideas and taking your customers...

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Are you cutting lawns for $10?

10. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

And then he woke up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!