Lots of plow damage thus far

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

They all offer them, but local stocks have always been thin or non-existent. And I just thought of one very good reason for that, which is that a standard globe pattern valve makes for a shallower hole for a valve box, and we all know that nobody (but idiots like me) wants to dig a deep hole for a valve box.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean, dig a deep valve box? If the friggin mainline is installed 18" deep ( like it should be) the elevation of the box doesn't change for a G/A valve compared to a inline or globe valve. Hydraulics are a bit better with a G/A valve if I'm not mistaken.

The reason that G/A valves may be uncommon in some areas might be install methods. Pipe pullers don't seem to plant the pipe very deep as a rule. Just saying.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

What 18-inch-deep mainline? Systems fed from basement water meters have a manifold near the house, far more often than not, and those manifolds are most likely seen in a half-height shallow valve box.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

That explains a lot
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

In the last 15 years, outside of the years i worked installing the green lawns, i don't thing i have ever come across a 1" angle valve. i'm not saying that they don't exist, but they are extremely rare in my market.

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I needed some 1" angle valves a couple years ago and I had to special order them

7. Wet_Boots

the only time I ever designed with angle valves was with the Richdel globe/angle valves that were a 1-1/2 inch bonnet on a special 1-inch body - good for more than 30 gpm

8. deekay1622

deekay1622 LawnSite Member

When I worked for an irrigation supply house, the Toro P-220 series valve was really popular with the commercial repair guys. It's a 3-way (in-line or angle) and has lots of cool features.

Around $60 for a 1" but good value IMHO.

I had an irrigation tech tell me he would use the P-220 angle set up and had a cool trick if their was ever debris stuck in the valve. He would install it with a ball valve right before the inlet on the angle set up, which he would close, then take out the plug on the inlet side of the in-line connection and hook up a Male Apapter with IPS hose and another ball valve. Then he could open up the first BV and flush out debris. He said he got a lot of use from that set up.

I have not had any chance to use it, but maybe somebody else has done it this way and can point out the Pro's and Con's

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You can do the same with a shop vac with zero mess. Just saying.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I smell a shop vac rep
    Posted via Mobile Device