Lots of plow damage thus far

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Apr 22, 2014.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

That's funny!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

How many guys even install shutoffs before valves? Not a big deal on small resi systems but large commercial jobs, ive always appreciated isolation valves for repairs or isolating leaks.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt that you've ever seen a system designed with proper isolation. I never have.
    For repairs there should be isolation prior to each valve or manifold of valves.

Mainlines should have valves in place at reasonable intervals for maintenance and emergency shut down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree for any system outside small residential (< acre).

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Small residential systems don't require isolation valves. Properly installed they have working backflow assemblies to isolate the irrigation from the domestic water.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

So agreed. I have one condo community that is not going to have the water turned on anytime soon. Mainline and 1.5" valve were broken due to new construction a few weeks ago. We dug it up, prepped it, staked and taped it off, and now it is buried under many feet of dirt. The pipe is open, and I can't fire up the system until that is fixed. With an ISO valve in the mainline, I could start up probably 80% of the system. This project has been a nightmare for three years.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

It's just my opinion but I feel that anytime there's a tee or cross on a mainline there should be a valve on each downstream line. That allows repairs or leak detection testing to be performed without shutting down the entire system.

In all residentials (as Kirl was referring to) water flow can be mitigated with backflow or master valves for isolation. There's more drain time and mess but at least the waters off for repair or testing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I have big resi up on the seacoast. 28 zones or so. We have an iso between the front and rear. Athltic fields get one at every valve.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

At the valve, that's my point. There should be an ISO valve on the mainline after any tee or cross to boot. Shutting the valve down won't help a mainline leak or break. Sounds like your fields are installed similar to ours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty much standard design for most designers I would imagine. Have only seen a handful of prints for fields that didn't have em.