Lots of questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by next12mj, Jul 20, 2007.

1. next12mj

next12mj LawnSite Member

1. How much are flyers costing you

2. Do you think 500 a weekend from Late Febuary - Late May and then 500 a week during summer. is enough to put out

3. Is 500 a doable number

4. With doing this i will be putting my ad in the yellow pages and the classifides, will this be enough advertisment

5. How many yards did you get your first season

6. Is this a good idea - If you sign a monthly contract and you reccomend us to someone else and they buy a service you get one mow free that month

7. My goal is 15 by the time schools out and 25-30 by the time summer is out. Is this a realistic goal or not. With the estimate that i get a 1 % Feedback that would be 5 new costumers a week but that goal just seems out of reach but i want to get serious about this and make really good money for my age.

8. How much is your mower payment a month

Note : Im 16 and the reason im so worried about getting yards is that i have to atleast get 8 a week to make as much money as i do now plus enough to make a payment on a mower.

2. next12mj

next12mj LawnSite Member

Anyone ?????

3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

well.... whatever amount of yards you wanna cut is realistic. advertising is important. if i were you, go around HOUSES, and knock on their door old fashion style. and tell them your sales pitch and youll probably get the yard. you could also go into subdivisions with like 100 to 200 houses and knock on doors. flyers are great. make many of them. get business cards. theyre handy all the time. and whatever you do, dont buy brandnew mower. sure, the thought has rolled around in my mind many times, but i ask myself, do i wanna make a $250 or more payment a month. on top of trying to save and not to mention the interest. that would kill you. if you pay interest on an tiem, you end up paying it like 2 times over. buy used. thats what i did and i dont regret it in anyway! i wouldnt get into contracts or any free stuff. jsut go out there and cut it. youll get some people. maybe not as many as youd like the first year but if you believe in yourself and set your mind to it and advertise advertise advertise, then youll get your 25 accounts. i usually go to kinkos and get like a hundred at a time. i make halfpage flyers so i can fit two on one page. its like $8 for 100 copies(black and white) that ending up being 200. since there are 2 on a page. and starrt off with the flyers and if you dont get enough attention, then hit the mailing lists to certain zipcodes and send them all to a zipcode. lastly, buy the mower used and in cash right up front, dont make payments ok, do not make payments. thats to much stress on someone your age. cause then you actually got to get out there and find business. its too much hassle. buy used with cash full payment right up front. and youll be set. and try to haggle a little, you never know, you might get that mower for like $200 or $300 cheaper. CASH IS KING

4. next12mj

next12mj LawnSite Member

I wont have enough money to buy a mower up front or atleast not untill i start making some real money

what if i paid like 1500 down...then made the rest in payments

5. DillonsLawnCare

wait, what are you looking to buy. what kind/size/brand of mower!?

6. next12mj

next12mj LawnSite Member

around a 44" ztr

My Budget is kind of like this

Mower-1000
    Advertisment - 1000
    Edger - 200
    Trimmer - 200
    Blower - 100
    Insurance - 300
    paper work - 100
    Not sure about license and all that stuff

so it looks like to be 2900

I plan to make this with a paper route and a part time job after school

7. DillonsLawnCare

like i said, dont get an edger! dont dont dont! i know these pros are like yeaah get it, but its only for like curbs and flower beds. nothing a nice trimmer cant handle. are you going to buy a 44" zero turn mower new or used? toro? scag? exmark? which brand are you looking at??

8. next12mj

next12mj LawnSite Member

it will hve to be used and what ever brand depends on how much money...less the better

ill see about the edger because to me a good edge makes or breaks the whole project

9. next12mj

next12mj LawnSite Member

Not sure about anything on the mower
    its just thats around the size i want
    and i want it to be a rider
    and i want it to be used because of money

10. DillonsLawnCare

get a walkbehind, pay cash upfront for it and dont get an edger or get an edger and a ztr and go into debt at the age of 16!