Lots of small questions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Denham Lawnboy, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Denham Lawnboy

Denham Lawnboy LawnSite Member

Hey this is my first post here and I had some questions for yall.

1. I know that this has been beaten to death but I still want to know more. How do i make a stripper for my mower. I see some made with chains but some of them dont go all the way across the deck like only 40". Also with a stripper do you just cut like you normally would? Thanks.

2. Right now all i can afford is Home Depot quality weed eaters and leaf blowers. Are these even worth the money or should I just save up and get a few nice ones?

3. What are some jobs that yall do in the off season?

My name is Zach and I have been cutting grass for 3 years. I just got a TORO Z 48" with the 19hp Kawi. I have about 15 yards and am looking for more.
  2. Denham Lawnboy

Also I forgot to ask, I am planning on getting a 14X6 trailer. I was wanting to know if anyone else has this setup and has some pictures of it. I want to see what it will look like fully loaded with ZTR mowers or WB.
  3. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

Good questions , ya i would either buy a used weed eater or blower thats commerical grade before going to home depot. I have no idea about a striper and honestly i went from cutting 40 lawns in 2004 to cutting 175 now in 2007 so i have had a good growth in my opinon , (not what i wanted i expected mroe) but theres been more complains that the customer doesnt like the lines compared to people not getting striped lawns and complaining about it . 14 x 6 is fine size
  4. Denham Lawnboy

I really want to just edit my first post so i dont have to keep asking all of these questions but it says not to. So.... I was talking to a guy that had a lawn service and he had to go back to college. He said that he just sold some of his yards to other people. My question is how often do people sell yards and how much are they. I think this make sence. And a little more about me... I am 18 and a senior in HS.
  5. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Home Depot sells Echo trimmers. I bought an Echo srm-210 from them and it is a good trimmer. It is fine for light- commercial applications like what you're doing. It costs about $200.
  6. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

save to buy commercial 2 strokes.

commercial lasts 6 times longer and is only double the cost. my first yr i bought homeowner and they only lasted half a season.. pathetic! and were hard to start, barely ran etc. commercial for $100 more and they always start and will last years.

the LAST thing you want is to be pulling on a starter cord for 20 min in front of a customers house when you could be making loot.

im serious, i've had 2 home owner models and they really are that crappy.
  7. Denham Lawnboy

Thanks for the replies but the trailer and the stripping question are still unanswered. I only ask becuase I dont know. Thanks
  8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I'd want a 7 ft wide trailer minimum, an enclosed trailer is better ( storage and security)(mine are 8.5 feet wide),
    Mowing Turf Type Tall Fescue grass My mowers stripe fine with Gator Blades.
    26cc Red Max trimmer/ 8001 blower are my favorites. Saving $100 by buying smaller/cheaper is a waste of time and money.
  9. dvblandscaping

dvblandscaping LawnSite Member

Learned very quickly that home depot... craftsman etc doesnt cut it. Although oddly enough I still use a 1985 ryobi trimmer on occasion... never changed the lower end, air filter or adjusted the carb. It still runs as it did new, and I use it as a backup trimmer (3rd on the rack.)

The toro will suffice for now, a 14x 6 trailer is the way to go. dont get less than 6 wide though, youll regret it. you can use this for any of your surrent needs, and when things pick up, it will remain in use by a secondary crew. Its a good investment.

As far as you own fabricated STRIPING kit goes (not stripping) conveyer belt works better. You can mount using bolts to the back side of the deck, or I just mounted in between drive tired to frame.
  10. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I started w/ a murray tractor, craftsman blower, homelite weedeater, 5 x 10 trailer.

I had about 15 yards for 2 summers....the weedeaters worked just fine, I still have the blower (backup, still on truck) and trailer.

I now have 85 accounts...here's all you need.

1. 5 x 10 trailer.

2. 1 riding mower (tractor or ztr).

3. 1 echo trimmer (I have 3 now)...199.00 bucks.

4. I stihl handheld blower. 235 bucks.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to get the same results. Once you make money, then spend money. My 199.00 weedeaters and 235.00 blower have just finished their second season...and I haven't even tuned them up. :laugh: Don't get caught up in trying to keep up w/ the big established guys just yet (for looks....just make sure every blade of grass is cut and you'll do fine).