Loud Deck Noise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MSDuffer, Sep 12, 2005.

1. MSDuffer

MSDuffer LawnSite Member
    from MS

Just got home with my new Grasshopper 223-52. I unloaded it off the trailer decided to cut my own yard. When I engaged the blades it starting making a noise like it had a spindle bearing going bad. Not the obvious, you know you got a bearing in a spindle going bad noise, but kinda the first noise you hear when one starts to go bad. I don't want to look like an idiot by taking the mower back tomorrow, and the dealer telling me that this is the normal sound of the mower. The alamite has grease on it so i don't think it could be dry. Maybe it needs to loosen up or something. Maybe the decks are extra loud on this model or something. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen before.

2. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

have you looked under the deck? I had what sounds like the same thing happen to mine and it was the black plastic cups above the blades. The dealer told me to take them off "theyre nothing but a pita". Had them off ever since with no problems. He did give me a couple washers to replace them though so I would go back to the dealer, but check and make sure the 'cups' are on properly. Hope this helps

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you caught a coathanger ;)

seriously, check up under there, could be just some wire or branch caught in the blades.

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

last time i tried a grasshopper the deck was louder than crap too. thats why i like those quiet gearboxes on walkers. might just be pulleys... or might be sd flap rattling loose.

5. coachrgraves

coachrgraves LawnSite Member

I have the exact same mower with 30 hrs. on it now. when I first used it I thought the same thing, greased spindles, checked deck etc. I think they are just loud, Also, the type of blades you run will make a difference in noise also. I have gotten used to the way it runs. I have been very pleased with mine, purchased the vac/bagger with mine a week ago and it changed the sound level also, otherwise, how do you like the mower?

6. MSDuffer

MSDuffer LawnSite Member
    from MS

So far, i like it fine. Except for the fact that if it doesn't quiet down, i will have to wear ear plugs to keep from going deaf ! I should probably be doing that any way. There is nothing caught under the deck. I did move the blades by hand and there was some squeaking that sounded like it was coming from the middle spindle. It will be this weekend before I can take a good look at it. I am interested to see if it may be the cup things that WarEagle was talking about.

7. coachrgraves

I don't know that i would take off the black spindle covers, i have cleaned my deck a couple of times and they seem to do a good job of keeping dust and dirt away from the spindles. Post back if you figure it out..

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of noise are we talking about here? Is it a drone, a whine or a grinding type noise? BTW definately get some earplugs or you WILL lose your hearing, significantly in some cases. I use Peltor worktunes, do a great job filtering out noise and you get to listen to music while you work. You can pick up a set at Home Cheapo.

9. coachrgraves

what are Peltor work tunes?

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

They are hearing protection with a radio built in. They are rated at a noise reduction of 25dba, much lower than regular ole earplugs. Go to home depots website and type in peltor or worktunes, they should have a pic and some more information.