Loud screetch when engaging blades.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigbone, Jun 26, 2007.

1. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

I was wondering if it is normal for my belt to screetch when I engage the blades on my fastrack. I engage the blades at 1/2 RPM not full. Once the blades starting running it stops screetching. The mower is less than 1 year old BTW.
  2. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

does the same thing on my super z and my gavely walk behind...when the pulley's are engaged the belts prob make the screech noise you are talking about...i have never thought twice about it...i have heard many other mowers make the same sound...i wouldnt worry about it..
  3. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Its just the belts, I wouldn't worry about it.
  4. Trident

Trident LawnSite Member

I've got a Lesco 60" Z Two that did the same thing... The belt came loose from the tensioner pulley. At first glance the belt looked like it was positioned correctly. There was no slack in the tension, but the belt was actually on the opposite side of the pulley as it belonged. I moved the belt, the screech completely stopped and performance improved(duh). The belt still hops off from time to time. Not sure why.
    I learned the hard way. I didn't think to much about the screech until I burned up a belt. Got bogged in tall grass and without enough belt tension, blades stopped and burned right through the belt. Nothing smells better than burning rubber!
    Check the belt alignment diagram.
  5. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

The belt may well be a little loose....the tension adjustment on Hustlers is quick and easy, check your owner's manual for instructions.
  6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Trident....I think you've found the problem in just your first post. The belts are binding and slipping causing the screeching. Alignment of the belts or a tension pulley problem are most likely the cause. In either case if the condition continues the belt will burn through and break.
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Try engaging at full throttle next time.
  8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

My 44" Toro has pretty much always done it and has had the same deck belts for 5 years. I always engage at full throttle as well. NBD IMO.
  9. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

screeching when engaging is characteristic.

There are two kinds of belts. Raw edge, and finished edge.

Raw edge belts will screech when engaged more so then a finished edge.

That's why some guys it does it on, and some guys it does not.

There is a method behind the madness on using one or the other for certain applications.
  10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

There was also a Loud Screech on celebrity fit club.