loudmouth customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CNYScapes, Sep 1, 2003.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for some input on what you guys would do about this customer? I have been cutting this lawn for 2 years. Occasionally calls to complain about a few clippings on the house or in his beds. A couple of weeks ago my guys were cutting in the rain and clumped up the grass a bit. So he calls me all hot under the collar and I tell him we will come back tomorrow and fix it. He also tells me that all 3 of his neighbors arent happy with their cuts either. The other 3 customers have never complained once to me. Come to find out he called all three neighbors and got them riled up. I want to drop this guy but I have 4 lawns in a row and and am worried about losing them all. What do you guys think?:confused:

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

drop him
    and let your other customers in that block that he was removed from the list due to difference of opinion

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

First of all, have you talked with him first. Tell him what you feel and don't appreciate what he is doing. And also talk with the neighbors regarding their feelings about THEIR lawn. If he is still a pain, just drop him and maintain the neighbors. Now if the neighbors follow him then that are customers that i wouldn't want to have.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Find out for sure if he has really been calling his neighbors and getting them stirred up.

If he has, I'd go to his home and have a face to face talk with him.

I'd also do some serious listening to him and FIX the problems he is complaining about.

It sounds to me like he has every right to be unhappy with the service.

That however doesn't make it right for him to gang the whole block up on you.

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Drop him and then lower his neighbors prices by a few bucks as a gift.

This will tick him off.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sounds like he had a bad day,talk with him and the others to see if they are dissatisfied or not.Patience and persistence.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

he does not have every right to be unhappy with his service, some people are just chronic complainers. in your contract should read, "we are not responsible for acts of god." rain, is an act of god, and since the clumping was the result of wet grass, caused by rain, it is an act of god. tell him u cant deal with his cr*p, and if it doesnt stop, u will raise the fee for compensation, or drop him like a fat chic when the buzz wears off.

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Rain is an act of God but clumping is an act of mowing....:D

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Some people you just can't please.........

10. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

This is also true,But if you read through the many threads on this type of subject the normal reply is dump them.Adds to the bad image of the industry I think.