Louisiana Horticulture Exam

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by stevenf, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I was just wondering how they suggest doing it compared to how I was taught.

length in feet X's width in feet X's depth in inches divided by 324

Congrats on passing the test.

I have thought about taking one here in Texas that is from the Texas Nursery and Landscape Association, but it is more money, time and CEU's per year and I am already spending enough on all of those on irrigation license and pesticide license.

2. gwoodcutter

gwoodcutter LawnSite Member

Hey Woody,

Congrats on passing again! When you say everything native, what page are you talking about in the book? Ch. 15, pg. 204 has a list of 'trees that do well throughout La.' There is also another pg., 225 that list Palms. Everyone keeps saying 'Native', but what all does that include? And does that include the common name and scientific names? Thanks. I'm getting ready to take it again.

Scott

3. gwoodcutter

You also said not to worry about the scientific names, i just have to know whether the name i see on the test is an annual or perennial? thanks.

4. woody70

woody70 LawnSite Member

I eventually found several different methods in KrayzKajun's thread here:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=396569&highlight=mulch+calculation

I used l x w x inches of mulch, divide by 12, divide by 27, they both come out to exactly the same answer (12 * 27 = 324 you use in your formula).

5. woody70

woody70 LawnSite Member

Pages 285-292, it includes plants, trees, shrubs, etc. Everything marked with an "N" (native). Only need to know common names.

6. woody70

woody70 LawnSite Member

no scientific, just annual or perennial.

7. gwoodcutter

Ahh, okay. I didn't see that before...You at home because of the rain today?

8. gwoodcutter

what was on the test about the turf grasses? That is a ton of stuff to remember/learn.

9. woody70

woody70 LawnSite Member

Look at your post on page 2, same stuff.

10. gwoodcutter

Wow! I forgot i typed that! Thanks. Still a ton of stuff to know...beneficial...thanks again