louisiana LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by ffemt1271, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Complete Lawn Care

Complete Lawn Care LawnSite Member

You need a Horticulture Services license. Contact someone at the La. Dept of Agriculture in Baton Rouge, or go to their web site and you can find the info you need.

You will have to take a test, which you can do in Baton Rouge.

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You can spread mulch, pull weeds, and cut grass without any type of horticultural license in LA.
    To plant flowers, shrubs, or trees, however, you must be either a licensed horticulturist, landscape contractor, or landscape architect (arborists can plant trees as well).
    To trim hedges you must be a licensed horticulturist.
    To prune larger trees (I believe over 18' tall?) you must be a licensed arborist.
    To apply ANY type of chemicals (other than fertilizer) you must be a licensed chemical applicator.

Hope I was able to answer your questions. Best of luck!

3. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks this is very helpful...

4. Big C

I am new to pricing jobs and want to know how do you guys price mowing jobs (by the amount of time it takes to complete or a flat rate per acre) I live in Gonzales can anyone give me a ball park rate for mowing per acre & labor rates for a solo LCO....any advice would be appreciated

5. CALandscapes

I price mowing jobs based on at least $1/minute/man (so for a solo operator you'd be @ $60/hr). I generally price a maintenance job based on experience (I don't have a scientific formula, per say).
    I'd also set a minimum for residential accounts (for example, $30/cut).
    We don't mow a ton of grass.. I'm curious to see what some of the more lawncare-oriented operators have to answer on this question....?

6. Big C

Any LCOs in the Gonzales/B.R. area can further add to the helpful info I have already received on this subject? Would really welcome more info on prices for 1 acre or less res. and comm. in the Gonzales area.

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Sure did!!!! let me guess we had class 2gether??

8. CALandscapes

Yeah we did have class together. I remember that you said you had a lot of properties on the West Bank.. You still taking classes @ DCC?

9. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

how easy is it to get accounts in LA? im 15 almost 16 from lafayette(abbeville really) and want to start up.

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Hi everyone I'm Scott and am in kenner right outside of the new orleans area. I had 45 accounts last year and want to increase my accounts this year and expand my services with the course I'm taking at delgado for landscaping. I do have some equipment for sale. A snapper commercial 21" w/ kawasaki engine from last year for $650 obo. And a stihl Fs80/85 trimmer also like new from last year for $300 obo. Let me know if interested.