Louisville Green - 5-3-0

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Barefoot James, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

I need your input on this product from the Sewer Dept of Louisville (MSD) a local golf course owner is behind it and the local park system 9 courses and even Valhalla (Ryder Cup 2008) are using it. I met with the head of the Louisville Parks Dept this weekend and he says it is really working well for his 9 courses. This guy is a no BS guy (I've known him for 35 years) he never says somethings good unless it is great- type of guy. I wanted to post the lab results and PLEASE Kiril, ICT Bill, Gerry, Phasthound, Tim Wilson, tadhussey and all others please analize this and dissect it. The website is www.louisvillegreen.com

MSD - Louisville Green 5-3-0.jpg

2. Tom Jaszewski

Tom Jaszewski LawnSite Member

I'm confused, but it's probably cuz I'm new. but what the heck does recycled sewage have to do with organic turf?

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'll throw in my two cents.

I like the idea, you have to do something with the crap.

That being said, I might be concerned with prolonged use of this product (metals), and I almost certainly wouldn't use it in my garden.

Tom, since this is the only organic/sustainable forum on this site, everything that falls under the umbrella of sustainable ends up here. :)

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Tom, New at what? Your reputation proceeds you

The arguments on this site about the strict interpretation of "organic" are long gone by.

We (I should say I) prefer to hear from all aspects of the industry and gently nudge people in the right direction rather than hitting them over the head with a sledge hammer and stopping the conversation

I don't think I would use that product in my yard either

What could you do with it?

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

is there any way to get the unwanted elements out of the mix?

6. Tom Jaszewski

I certainly share the opinion that we need to find effective was of recycling this material. From that standpoint I like the *idea*.

Again we're on the same page, I wouldn't support it's use in parks either!

That works for me...I am not an organics only practitioner. I have use issues with a number of "organic" fertilizers. But that's another thread...I prefer to evaluate a system based on the lack of toxins and peak nutrition. As a result sustainable models work better for me. Were this product sustainable I'd be willing to take a harder look, however I suspect the metals levels are not going to be static. Golf courses may be the safest use other than some sort of biological remediation of the waste to produce an innocuous waste product.

7. Tom Jaszewski

Ah new at not being the king of my personal forest? Lots of taking deep breaths and relearning how to interface with the industry form an entirely different space. Gardening is still what keeps my interest, perhaps because there is always so much more to learn.

Great, I come completely unwilling to argue..
    Excellent approach, I hope I fit well into that model.

Bill I just don't know, but I do know there needs to be a solution. Maybe golf courses? That's a selfish solution by a non golfer

Regards,

Tom

8. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Are you guys dubious of bio-solids in general, Milorganite etc., or just
    this Louisville stuff?

9. Tom Jaszewski

It is my personal choice to avoid bio solids in ANY of my gardens.

10. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if it's possible to put the bio solid through some kind of further processing to reduce the heavy metals? Is that possible?