Love Old Customers but...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tfilbert, Mar 23, 2005.

1. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

Did a fall clean-up for a very old couple last fall and they said please call us in the spring. Called the other day and set appointment to discuss needs this year. Went to home yesterday and made pitch for full lawn service and some minor landscaping changes to problem areas. Was amazed at the questions I was getting. Do we pay in advance? Will you be here each week? Will the prices change throughout the year? It finally dawned on me they had been ripped off and were trying to see where my company fit in. I answered all their questions and explained what I could and would do. You pay only when service performed. I'm here each week and no the price will not change. I ask them a few leading questions and found out they had been had by quite a few fly by nites. :angry: Since he is 88 and she is 82 I kind of wonder if they will be here at the end of summer but will take good care of them until... Take it easy on the old folks out there. They may be an easy mark to some of you but remember they helped make this country great. BTW, the old man was on the beach "D" Day. May God Bless Em!
    Tim

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is why it's all in writing

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had one of my ederly customers get the shaft last summer. A guy goes there and proposes some tree trimming that needs done. Lures her out of the house and into the backyard. His buddy then went in and robbed some jewelery and cash from her purse. It's a shame!

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Sad waht an a** hole

5. houston

houston LawnSite Member

I had an 86 year old customer tell me on Monday: "I don't buy green bananas anymore because I don't know if I'll still be around when they ripen." And this guy still does not need glasses to read or write!

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

A couple in their 80's clipped my ad and held it a couple months before calling me. They were very afraid of being ripped off. Went overboard to be more than fair.

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

If the old people make it through the winter they'll be around for another year. It seems like I hardly ever have to go to the funeral home in the summer months but look out when winter rolls around. Haven't you guys ever noticed that your older clients seem to only die in the winter? It sucks but thats life. God bless their souls.

8. Texas Mowem

Texas Mowem LawnSite Member
    from Texas

There is a lesson for all of us in that quote.

I'm gonna steal it and make it my sig line

9. bscill

bscill LawnSite Member
    from KY

Some of my clients are the elder folks also. I usually live them tilll last in the day, because of talking with them. Most of them are just lonely and want someone to talk with.

10. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Bingo that is exactly one of my customers he is an older gentlemen which lives with his wife. Poor guy has had 2 strokes and heart attacks and has 1 kidney. He is a tough old bastard but extremely funny. He would tell me stories about when he worked for the phone company years back. He always watches me when I work. I have done numerous jobs for this guy. When he was young he created a monster of a yard and npw he can't keep up with it. I can only make 3 passes with my 48 inch and half to do the rest with a 21 mulch beds flower beds, arch way, bird bath, sundial and numerous trees. I have whacked my head on the trees trimming at least every other week. This guy is great When I'm not busy I will spend a while and just talk with him. He has his mind but his body is failing and he knows it which he gets aggrivated about it. This guy makes me laugh he can still walk, but slowly he has no fear. If he thinks your an @sshole he will tell it to your face. With hi condition he grabbed a retired police officer by the neck at the Italian club because he got pissed off at him. When I finish his yard I tell him to stay out of trouble. He reply is always "Thats hard for me you know that" I hope this guy is around for a while he always makes me smile in the end. I figure I share this with you guys sorry for the long post. :)