Lovebugs

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by South Florida Lawns, May 7, 2011.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Seems this year they are more out of control than ever. My trucks covered in them. Ya gotta wash them off asap as they will pit your clear coat and make little white specks especially if you have black. Something to do with the chemicals and the intense sun. I know this from experience.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

The spring crop is worse this year than last up here in north central. They seem nowhere near as bad as they were years ago though. I think the rain helps to determine the population. If it's dry in early April, they don't seem as bad.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't miss those little guys.

4. IES

IES LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I hate those little things. They are not as bad this spring as they normally are, only good thing about it being dry.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

you guys too? lol

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Daily truck wash, good waxing and rain x. Anything to keep them from sticking.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

They go from FL to TX and some of the worst I've ever seen were in East TX about 50 miles north of Houston. BTW I've seen some similar bugs in central Kansas in early fall that looked like lovebugs mating but about three times bigger. They were in the same mating formation, and swarmed in the grass near the highway.

9. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

Another good (post lovebug encounter) remedy is to wipe them off with wet dryer sheets. Then follow with a soapy wash to clean the residue left behind. Works great with little effort.

10. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

You never see them in the Miami area or points south though.