Low ball information

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by pete scalia, Jan 1, 2008.

1. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

I'm reading an article in the 12/07 issue of Lawn and Landscape mag.

Some guy is saying he offers a lighting service package for a $30-$50 charge per monthly visit depending on the # of fixtures. This is what it includes- inspection of the voltage,wiring,fixtures and transformers,lens cleaning and bulb replacement as necessary.

It costs me more than $50 just to drive to a home, park the truck in front and step one work boot on the asphalt. Once the second boot hits the ground it's gonna cost a customer at least $100 unless it's a warranty call.

This is a great example of crap information disseminated within this business from a "reputable" trade mag. What is going on here. Is it any wonder why many involved in lighting can't make a profitable go at it?

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

where was that guy located?

3. pete scalia

Orlando, Fla.- Looks like he's been spending too much time in Disney world.

Claims $50K a year in lighting is presented as an "expert" and gets featured in an article. Disgraziado!

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

That is so true. does that 30-50 include the price of bulbs? I can't imagine that could be acurate. He probably is just saying it for the publication, and actually does something else. He probably hasn't taken a good look at his P and L lately.

5. pete scalia

If that's so then the mag should be savy enough to pick up on it since they are an industry mag, realize he's a loser and find another 'expert" to feature or at least ask the guy how he stays in business charging prices like that.

6. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

I think i read that article, lighting is not his only source of income if i remember correctly. I am not sure why the magazine doesn't reach out to more compitent individuals. It could be that they aren't aware of contractors more experienced. Maybe you should call or email them and make them aware Pete.

7. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I think the point missed here is that the guy seems to be charging $30-$50 per month x 12 months per year. That's $360-$600 per year - a typical yearly maintenance fee. I'm guessing his monthly visits probably average about 15 minutes each. If the customer is local, then driving time is insignificant since he probably does rounds and services several clients per round.

Charging monthly may be more attractive to homeowners who may balk at a big yearly maintenance fee.

There's also the additional face time it gives him with the client - a lot of upsell opportunities when you're at the home.

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Steve, are you suggesting that $360 to $600 is "a typical yearly maintenance fee"? For whom? For what type of system?

This begs me to ask the rest of you: What are your clients spending for "typical annual maintenance" of their lighting systems?

9. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

My maintanence programs come out to around $20 - $30 per fixture, per year. Some of these projects are in excess of $2000 per year.

10. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I can see where this guy has some kind of angle or hidden agenda. This is probably just his "hook". He probably offers this as long as you are within a 10 mile radius. If not, there are additional charges. Then he probably has other things in mind when he gets there like offering relamps (at an above average cost). He also has the first hand opportunity to suggest redoing the entire system, citing that the system is old and out of date (or wired improperly).
    I agree with Steve on this one. If he has enough of these clients at $600 per year, it doesn't take too long before you have a very lucrative service business with a steady stream of paychecks coming in. Not to mention the fact that you can group these people by neighborhoods (which is what I do) and service a bunch of them in a single day. If your doing it every month, your not going to have to do much more than simply see if all the lights are on. Like the man said, most stops are going to be 15 minutes and then your off to the guy next door or across the street.