low balled!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acresofgreen, Sep 27, 2013.

1. acresofgreen

acresofgreen LawnSite Member

I have just got extremely low balled. New guy takes a 2 acre property with a pond and a steep ditch and is going to take care of it for $50 per cut as needed no contract and this is a commercial account. Wow, He must like working for Free! Extremely frustrating!

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Idiots. He'll be out soon. He doesn't have a contract so if he's not making much he will quit

3. doobs41378

doobs41378 LawnSite Member

What was your price?

4. acresofgreen

I did it for 2 years at $150 per cut.

5. acresofgreen

To do it right it took me and a helper an hour and a half.

6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Unfortunately this is the problem with a lot of commercials.... They don't care about "doing it right" they just want it done. I witnessed that first hand today.

7. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Residentials do the same thing. Don't care what it looks like. Just want the cheapest price.

8. pythons37

pythons37 LawnSite Member

I don't do this full time and I don't use Commercial Grade equipment. I live in a rural area and don't even bother with developments/subdivisions. I've been called to give estimates and I tell them I don't have the equipment to mow their big and fancy properties. The ones I am comfortable with are the rambling nondescript "yards ". I have been gutted like that a couple of times and it just amazes me. The worst was a 60 dollar quote I lost to someone for 25 dollars. Guess what? It was a commercial. I, too, suffer from doing a good job rather than just cut and screw. There is no answer. Just keep punching.

9. acresofgreen

I've found my residential clients will pay for a good quality and usually stick around as long as there treated fairly. Might start to focus on mainly residential next year.

10. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

The last commercial account I bid on the guy said (in my best oriental accent) ohhhh....dat tooo muchhhh. Give me a heart attack ... I chuckled and told him to have a nice day. You win some, you lose some.