1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

low balled!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acresofgreen, Sep 27, 2013.

1. lego

lego LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh I see the times Sorry
  2. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

That will happen, unfortunately. And @Jaybrown is right, he's going to be out of business soon at that price. I have flat 1/3 acre residentials that pay $45 for a mow and trim. I can't see how anyone could make money doing 2 acres at that price.
  3. RaulMcCai

RaulMcCai LawnSite Member

Stay in touch with the owner. Sooner or later that $50 on demand bargain basement price won't be so pretty as the owner imagines it. I'm guessing it will probably be sooner.

Either that or - - - -
    It is possible that this is some guy's idea of how to steal customers and once he gets them in his pocket the prices go up and the seasonal contracts come out.
    I'm sure there are people who allow themselves to feel trapped by this sort of tactic and feel like they can't call their old service back.

So stay in touch with the owner send them a flyer inviting them to return and greeting cards for the holidays inviting them to return - - that sort of thing.
  4. lego

Holiday cards are great - I do it to everyone whom I service over the year, I always end up getting business back from a few of the ones whom I haven't done anything for in awhile.
  5. DalesLanscaping

DalesLanscaping LawnSite Member

Lost a job for next season already as i was told with the check that I would not be needed next year and how come I was RIPPING them off for the last three years with my price! I could not believe I was hearing this from him as I was taking care of his property and someone else has already offered to do it for HALF of what I had been doing it at.
    I can not figure out how this guy is going to make any money unless his plan is to put everyone out of business and take a loss for the season or two until we can not afford to care of our properties and then he will raise his price.

Has anyone else seen start up try to do this in their town with under cutting and then trying to get smaller companies to fold?
  6. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Exactly what I was thinking, $150 for 2 acres and 3 man hours is not ripping some one off. Not even a little.

Rough field mowing in my area goes for $85 to $100 per acre. $150 for finish detail work and trimming/blowing is not out of line for 2.
  7. lego

It is a smart business plan.
    Technically, while I work two jobs I could do it perfectly.
    I don't want to though. I would love to put the 'mow for extra money, low ballers, and hacksters' out but I respect others that work as hard as me, pay sales tax, and are fully legit.
  8. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

I think that was my fault...I chimed in that @ $85 an acre it would be about $170. So, $150 could be great price as none of us have actually seen the property to make a rational estimate and it could be a tricky mess, with a pond in the middle. I also wanted to kick-in the idea of the send a ballpoint pen with your phone number and a nice letter asking for the opportunity to bid on any real landscape work that they my need...and remind them that your door is always open if a landscaping question might arise. and to keep them on the christmas card list. There is nothing better than the call that they want you back because your service was so much better. Then, as long as they mind their p's and q's you keep them ... If not, it gives you the opportunity to make that phone call were you explain that they no longer meet your "good customer criteria" ... I love those calls ... :)
  9. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Folks like that are not worth wasting a minute of stress on. You'll always have those types.
    Unless you start getting hit with a lot of them, then it might be time to re-evaluate your market and business ops.

Other wise one or a couple folks like that............. don't worry about!
    When you have a customer list of any size you'll have that.
  10. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I find the price too high , price too low, price just right threads interesting. I assume there is a hair stylist forum out there with the same debate. The high priced salons bashing super cuts because they are hacks, and they have to charge more because of more over head etc... and they do a better job. Irony is most people on this thread bashing lower ballers probably go to super cuts. Boils down to level of service and what you are willing to pay for. Super cuts are fine for some, but others prefer salons. Both still cut hair