low balled!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acresofgreen, Sep 27, 2013.

1. lego

lego LawnSite Senior Member

:clapping:

Its called Competition. Every business has it. TJ Max is a lowballer, Target is a lowballer, Walmart is a dirty lowballer. haha.

2. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have a customer who asked me for an estimate for removing a tree. It wasn't very big, so I gave him a great deal at $150. He called me the next day and said some other guy would do it for $50. I don't have a clue how you the other guy didn't lose money on that. Dump fees around here are (i think) $30, plus at least 3 man hours to do the job. Who wants to work for $3 an hour?

4. lego

you didn't add in gas.
    He might be able to dump on his own property tough.

5. ExmarkBoy

from Indiana

Gas would've been around $20-$25. Even if he did dump it on his property, I still can't see how he makes any money. My point of bringing it up is that low-ballers do more damage to themselves than to the industry by pricing so cheap. Around here, they attract all the PITA's which I like :)

6. ExmarkBoy

from Indiana

@lego walmart and amazon are my two favorite lowballers lol

7. lego

I agree completely.
    I more or less meant if disposal is $30, he probably spent $25 in gas driving to get there, driving with a loaded truck, and the the mix used for chain saw. There is a very slight possibility that he made $5 bucks on that tree. Either that or he is just cutting it down, leaving everything there, and using the owners gas.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i think $150 was a fair price. normally i would charge $100 for 2 acres but when you throw in the pond that has to be trimmed around and the ditch then $150 makes alot of sense.

9. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag::usflag:Right on brother.I have a 2009 Ferris IZ3100 and 14' dump trailer.I have a 4 acre lawn so I needed something to cut down the time from my JD 425.Well my son becomes of driving age and is very mechanically inclined along with being very neat and military like with respect to adults.He was working at Auto Zone for $7.50/hr and decided to cut lawns to help with his college.He finally gets a few and give his notice at work.He makes in the $600-700 a week range btween mowing,some handy man work for a lawyer and taking care of 3 horses.Plus he only works 4 days a week.Whether he low balls or not --well he is not-- but has had a couple of guys with all lettered up trucks give him crap for not being a "Real LCO" .He even drove out to Ohio to buy a Toro Grandstand for more work that he got and has a friend working for him now.He is paying alot of his way through a 4 yr degree,making very good money and not killing himself.All I can say is anybody complaining about guys stealing work should get a life or find another line of business.

10. ExmarkBoy

from Indiana

The customer lives in my neighborhood so I know the guy hauled it away, and I'm pretty sure he would have had to use his own gas. At least, I know the customer, and I doubt that would have been an acceptable arrangement.