1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

low balled

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cturner, Mar 11, 2003.

1. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

i was wondering if u guys had any suggestions i'm suppose to be bidding on a job for a commercial acct. and they had another bid for it but the customer said if i could atleast match it they would give it to me heres the case

the other bid was 2 cuts a week
    edged once a week
    and all the grass and garbage picked up and hauled away

the guy is only charging $30.00 a month how can i compete with that and honestly it will only need to be cut once a week if that and it's about a 25 min job

any suggestions cause i really would like this acct.

thank u
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Give the property manager your card and just wait for the other guy to go out of business. I really hope this thread is a joke.
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Is it really 2 cuts a week?

If so.......

$30.00per month ÷ 8 visits = $3.75 per visit.

Even if you go once a week we're talking a whopping $7.50 per visit. Deduct your drive time, actual labor, dump fees, fuel, equipment depreciation, taxes, insurance........

.......and you will be the one thats paying for that account's lawn service...not the landlord.

Just the trash disposal alone would be more than that in my area....nevermind mowing the grass and hauling off the clippings.

I hope that this is a joke too. :confused:
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This is the best account you can get if you are looking to collect unemployment.

5. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

yea it's nuts but i seen the perposal from the guy i'd like to give him a call and ask him what type of medication he's on
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Give him a proposal of $200 a month, plus dumping fees. You don't lose money on the jobs you don't get.
    Crawdad payup
  7. How do you know someone else is willing to cut his grass for $3.75 a cut? Did he just tell you that? (grabs cturner by the collar and pimp-slaps him, SCHMACK) Snap out of it man! Forget about this account. Count on it NEVER being worth your time. Best thing is to look that clown straight in the eye and give them a top-dollar estimate. He already knows you’re new, so don’t worry about loosing his respect, it’s long gone.

At best, if you counter that low-ball offer (which is probably just a LIE), it will give him the impression that’s the going rate. He’ll spread the word, and then several people will start thinking they can get something for nothing. If he doesn’t want you to make a good profit, he’s just not a reasonable businessman. Turn around, fart in his general direction, and walk away.

Believe me, that customer is trying to rip you off just as clearly as a thief trying to snatch your wife’s purse. DO NOT work a deal with this guy, unless he’s willing to pay the going rate, AND NOT ONE FREAKING PENNY LESS! If it were me, I’d charge that clown double my normal rate ($120/hour), and laugh in his face if he did anything but pull out his wallet.

Its up to you how you'll be looking back at this event later this summer, pulling your hair out or laughing when you remember this quote: "i really would like this acct."
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

WALK AWAY!!!!!!!!
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

:D LOL :D He would have to pay me more just to pass by and give him a wave!! And if he wanted a smile it would have to be at least $120.00 a month!! I would tell the guy it costs you more to just go there and give him a business card. Never the less to show up with a crew. I don't stop a truck for less than $30.00, and that's residential. :nono: