1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

low baller on lawnsite low balling in my town

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike9497, May 24, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well i gave out 8 bids today for lawn service and they all said i was to high.they were from 25 to 35 per lawn.well this guy whos on lawnsite and is in my town cut my price by 12.00 per lawn.do you think i should chat with him or no.hes a young guy and i don't think hes going to last doing lawns for 15.00.he does good work i just feel because hes new and worried that hes not going to get work.what do you guys think.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

next time instead of just giving a bid, give the customer some literature about your company, policies, insurance coverage, & qualifications. They will probably go for a professional, than for someone that is cheaper.

But of course you are always going to have lowballers come in and underbid. It's just the nature of the business. Eventually these lowballers will fall to the wayside or grow, thus having to increase their prices.
  3. Kind of touchy. Depends on your wording and demeanor. As well as the type of person he is. I get the feeling you're wanting to help him as much as preserve the pricing standard.

Might start with a, "How's it going?" Then talk about the weather and drop a hint about mowing in the wet. That free advice would help to get his defenses down. Everyone gets curious about what other people are charging. So you might be able to lead the conversation in a way that gets him to ask about pricing first.
  4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

As many times as lowballing has been discussed on Lawnsite you would think the person would know without you having to tell him!
  5. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Its called a free market, there is nothing unethical about what he is doing, maybe he is not charging enough, maybe he runs a more efficient business or maybe he needs cash flow. Trust that the market will "weed out" those that do not charge enough. Know YOUR costs and charge accordingly and you will be fine, there is plenty of demand for our services.

If you can't handle being in business maybe you should go work the 9-5 for someone who can.
  6. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

We've got sub-divisions here with $30-$40 cuts and I'm seeing flyers offering $15 cuts, free aeration,etc.

Really nothing we can do but wait'em out.
  7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Unless your town only has 8 people living there, I'd say move on. He will eventually get enough people to service, then you can have the rest.
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

As soon as he looses out on paying his payments on all his equipment, or puts a rock thru the patio window, you will be getting that phone call. :)
  9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I was doing a LARGE lawn a couple years ago. Gave the guy a price for $125 a cut each week. That was what it should have been, not super high, not super low, just right... like in the Three Bears. Guy tells me that the guy who he had doing it before me was charging him $40 a cut or some rediculously low amount like that. He told me the name of his old guy, and I had seen the company around for quite some time, several new trucks... equipment, etc. Haven't seen that company around in SEVERAL years now. I believe I saw a couple of the trucks being driven around... but they weren't working for the company as far as I could tell. They had DEFINATELY been sold off.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

why don't you send him a PM and include the url for this thread so that you two can discuss the situation?

BTW--how are you guys hitting the same houses? seems curious to me.