1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Low Baller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, Oct 20, 2000.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

I had a conversation the other day with a Lawn Care professional, and he told me I was Low Balling and I took 2 of his customers at the beginning of the year. I just blew it off because I think he was jealous of my opearation, but he got me thinking. Let me give you some background. I am a part-timer and do all my cutting in Maryland. I cut no more than 20 hours a week and average between $75.00 and $90.00 per hour. I work by myself most of the time, however I did have my brother help me some this summer. I feel with the prices I charge, I am fair. I pay taxes, have insurance, and do the best job I can. I normally turn away work at a rate of 4 to 5 customers a week. I will probably never do this full-time, I am happy with the extra money I make. Maybe some of the guys are getting $100.00 an hour, but I am happy with what I make and my low over-head. The only thing I am considering doing besides cutting is aerating. I may start doing this next year in the fall to make some quick money at the end of the season. Like I said I turn away work all the time, so it's not like I am trying to steal customers or take on anymore work. I just am wondering do you think I am a low-baller? I know most people would be happy making this kind of money, and I have been blessed. All of my work is in a two mile radius. I had to vent because I don't want to be thought of this way.

[Edited by Brians on 10-20-2000 at 03:06 PM]
  2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

That's it, I'm moving to Maryland! :)

I don't think you're low-balling, brother, not at all. I took a job from a fellow landscaper recently(the customer came to me and asked for a quote, I didn't 'undercut' him), and bid the job at $35/hour. I was told in no uncertain terms that my rate was higher than the last guy, but I did a better job. He chose me.

$75/hour in any market is more than fair. Keep cutting, brother!

3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with TGC, $75.00 - $90.00 an hour is not low balling by comparison to my area as well. Way to go Brian

This will get some posting action: What is LOW BALLING anyway? It's only low balling to the guy that lost the work or did not get the job to begin with. This business is like any other in this great country of FREE ENTERPRIZE. You charge what you want, I charge what I want. If I take away an account from you, it is called competition. Would we all like to have a government controlled industry that governs what we are allowed to charge?

Several years ago, I took several accounts away from two companies here that had been the only two in town for almost 20 years. They acted like I had raped them. Even treated the accounts badly by calling and sending letters to them. They acted like little babies!

BRIAN, If you get the work and you are happy with what you charge, it is not low balling. The other professional that told you this, is not really a professional, nor understands the reality of business!
  4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with Skookum. No low balling in your area.
    Keep up the good work.
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you make a legitimate profit you can tell the crying competitor to take a flying leap.
  6. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

Brians, I've been on the forum since the first of the year and haven't posted in awhile, but you, my man, are my inspiration. I have a full-time job and will be beginning my lmo late winter/early spring. My goals are <20 hrs/wk and no less than $35/hr here in Tulsa. If I can become as efficient as you sound, I'll be sitting pretty as a lone operator... keep it up!!!
    btw- are you making that rate with just the basics (edging, mowing {mulch or bag} and blowing)?
  7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think Maryland has some of the highest rates around. Luckily, I'm from Maryland!
  8. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Brians, just curious. 85per hr at twenty hrs=1700 a week part time.Do you have a regular job?
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure beats $18-20 per hour down here!

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

you know of any good houses for sale-i'm on my way up there!