1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Low Ballers WTF!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cecilmac, Sep 15, 2010.

1. cecilmac

cecilmac LawnSite Member
    from nj

How many of you guys are getting killed by low ballin pos recently. Im getting so frustrated w these guys cutting my prices in half. And how r u dealing with this???
  2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Low ballers are part of the game my friend, only time and quality work will overcome that.
  3. csl

csl LawnSite Member

just getting this problem recently? this has been going on for 5 years. everyone with a truck is now a contractor or landscaper. one thing we have done lately is keep track of all the fliers and road signs we see. then we call them, ask if they are lic., bond, insure, etc. and if they say "no" then we call L&I. i pay a ton of money every year to do things legit, so they should too. find some way to burn em back.
  4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I tell the customer good luck and thank you for the opportunity to bid the work.

If they are not going to spend the amount it takes me to do a good job then they were never my customer anyway. as frustrating as it is you were never going to be the one they chose if they are choosing on price.
  5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

What exactly defines a low baller?

There is a contractor in our area that sells work by the square foot.

He is undercutting everyone.

His annual revenues are $3 million.

He is making money. Yes he is.

He has also put quite a hurtin on my business.

His work quality is bottom of the barrell.

His annual revenues are $3 million.

To my knowledge, he has been sued twice.

He is making money.

He sells by the square foot.

I'm not so sue I consider him a low baller. He's selling Volkswagons, and I'm selling Cadillacs. In this economy - the Volkswagons are better sellers.

WHAT DEFINES A LOWBALLER??? One thing I learned from Tony Bass, you ALL know tony Bass, right? Tony once said: "never under estimate the intelligence of your competition"

As a result of this guy in my area with the $3 million biz, I have full intentions of revising some text on our website. In a smooth, well rounded, intelligent, gentle manner I plan to highlight our KNOWLEDGE, What to look for, and so on. And it's going to be compelling, yet written in an upbeat, chill tone.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. DJJS

DJJS LawnSite Senior Member

:rolleyes: Are you a contractor or L&I? Everyone deals with lowballers, suck it up and find something that sets your business apart, instead of wasting your time going around looking for flyers and calling them.
  7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

DJJS - Hey - In that picture is that you and Adam Lambert (on the right)??
  8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Just because he's doing 3 mil a year doesn't mean he's making money. Just because he has nice new equipment doesn't mean he's making it. Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Yeah that.
  10. csl

csl LawnSite Member

i never said i was going out looking to burn people. we do mostly high end residential installs, and we get these fliers all the time. fair is fair. if they dont pay for the business license, insurance, etc. then yes i will turn them in. this is the kinda crap that makes it so they can lowball. they have no overhead.