Lawn Care Forum banner

Low-ballers

6K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  GreenCloverlawnCare, LLC 
#1 ·
I started my lawn service earlier this year and just today signed on my 50th customer. I feel I am growing the business fairly well using social media, word of mouth, door to door (ugh!), newspaper advertisements, sign-on specials, etc. I also have been sending out satisfaction questionaire's with each monthly invoice to make sure I am meeting a standard of excellence...but here's my problem: I am starting to notice signs around town for $15 lawn cuts...which is insane...and a few of my customers have started asking me to match it. I've developed a pat answer about quality of cut, insurance, sustainability, reliability, blah blah blah but I'd like to draw on the wisdom of the group...how do you counter a low-baller offering a $15 cut??

#27 ·
This is EXACTLY the reason WHY!!!

When first starting out, the new guy should have SAVED all their money for a very long time (no, not 3 days)
and bought ALL of their equipment outright, paid for in full, cash, no loans.

In addition they should have saved ENOUGH not to have to take no ridiculous shortcuts.

The reason is...

So that someone at least has an inkling of a CLUE as to their COST of doing business!
Even then it's bad enough.

But, more than a few don't listen.

#29 ·
GreenClover, these 15 dollar guys are here today and gone tomorrow, just some kids. I have read where it costs 17 bucks for an LCO to mow an average lawn after all things considered(legit fees, and EVERYTHING else) Remember this "Don't even talk to people who cannot afford your services." Keep up the good work!

#31 ·
Doubt it. If they are "legit", they couldnt stay in biz with that price.
thats not necessarily all they are doing

believe me, i know a lot of lco s around here, i wouldnt make that up

#33 ·
The price is the price, period!!!

Customer wants you to match some craigslist bs or a stupid door flyer, then so long. I've never had a customer even ask because smart customers don't usually fall for the gimmicks of all the idiots who just started a lawn biz with their sears card.
Posted via Mobile Device

#35 ·
hahaha...you guys are crazy (probably in a good way). A price analysis I conducted BEFORE I started the business has helped tremendously. Upper Middle of the pack in my pricing...I'll take your comments as compliments as I'm working 7 days a week trying to establish this business.

By the way, I agree with you: the price is the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.