low balling works for part timer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fulano, Aug 26, 2006.

1. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I started part time a few months ago and mow 3 yards plus mine every other week. It is going well so I may have to step it up next year and hire someone to help. Right now since I have made under $3000 I don't need a business license but plan on getting one because I will break the $3000 barrier early next year probably. I plan on putting out flyers over the winter for gutter cleaning and next spring for lawn care so I should get many more jobs for next year. I speak fluent spanish so getting help won't be a problem, besides help probably knows more than I about this business.
    I now have 3 mowers and will probably get a commercial 21" next year along with another trimmer and blower.
    Thanks to everyone who supported my undercutting plan and to those who thought I was a fly by night guy sorry to disappoint.

john deere 48" quik trak
    exmark 36" tthp
    exmark 52" tt
    stihl fs80r
    stihl br600
    stihl hs81t
    been using my tacoma and 6x10 tilt trailer to haul stuff

2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Here we go again! :dizzy:

3. AND the BS begins.

4. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a mony maker to me alright!

Tell us this again when you're celebrating your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Anniversary of being in business!

5. elmo1537

elmo1537 LawnSite Member

Why are you going to have to hire someone you have lets all count them on one hand 3 whoo hooo:sleeping: :hammerhead: so what if you have three lawns the kid down the street that has one mower and does three times the lawn that you do! BY HIMSELF I might add. Why dont you come back here in five year and start blowing your horn when you have twenty five lawns and enough employees to mow all of them all at once. Keep up the good work cause you are seriously the kind of person that helps me sleep at night. Because when all of your lowballing days are over and I pick up your customers because you went broke. i will be able to charge them twice what you did because I will be able to provide a dependable service unlike MR. Lowballer. :cool2:

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey now. Give the guy a break. I have 8 FULL time customers and Im going to have to hire a 3rd crew member jusy to sit and watch:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

I would not hire a single person until I got at least 50 accounts.

I hope you were just pulling our chain.

If not your need to lay off the
    :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

7. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I see that you have 3 mowers. Is that one for each lawn? Or one for each employee per each of your 3 lawns :dizzy:

8. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe his 3 are quite large. I only have 13 and they take me 4 days to do.

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah but one of them is the Vice Presidents...Your clients have a net worth higher than the GNP of many small nations...

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You low ball??? This is how you run your business??? And you think it's all fine and dandy? I'll probably get beat on by a moderator....but it's people like you that give us a bad name, and drive the prices down, and put hard working folks out of business. I take comfort in knowing you'll be out of the industry soon though.