low bidders =outta business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baddboygeorge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never seen this kinda of bidding in 22 years in this profession . how can a guy buy a 8-10 thousand dollar machine an go make 10-15 bucks . guys this is an investment make the most outta your investment an as a professional have a minimum an thats the bottom line . when a plumber makes a house call its 80 bucks just to show up. whats the difference between a plumber an a professional lawn care company absolutely nothing.its time for you guys to set a minimum for your investment an take this profession seriously. we need a union to protect our wages. i would love to start a landscaping an lawn care union to help protect the professionals in this profession. otherwise your gonna see the landscaping an lawn industry suffer dramatically in years to come. just my 2 cents but if this is your main source of income eveyone in my frame of mind would completely understand . thanks again george phillips

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

No thanks!

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Agreed.
    Mediocrity is not where I want to be.

4. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Sounds good to be but . Do you think some one is going to pay 80 $ just for you to show up. I know you Didn't say make 80 the min but . Say it's 50 $ for a lawn someone is paying 30 for now. i don't think they will go for it . Would be cheaper to go buy a 100 P.O.S mower and do it them self ? am i wrong or right ? I think the amount of ppl having there lawn cut now would stop !! JMO

5. baddboygeorge

you guys do what you need to do . but how do you all make money charging 10-15 dollars mowing an acre of grass ? when you all can anwser that then get back with me .

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

It's quite simple..............I don't cut an acre of grass for $10-$15. Any one that does really isn't a threat in my book because they won't be around long.

7. baddboygeorge

well it seems like thats the goin rate i have bid about 6 contracts an to no avail some low baller . one got the bid at 16 acres for 400 bucks now now he will be in business a long time the other was 10 acres for 200 bucks come one this is b.s.

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

O.K.
    That's $20-$25/ acre.
    With the right equipment they can still be making $100/ hr.

I don't know what kind of equipment they have, if it's a typical 60" ztr then they're nuts, if they've got 108" mowers then it's a different story.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, no union for me. I do my thing, others can do their thing, I'll let the Darwin Theory of Lawnboy Evolution do its thing.

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

the big boys in florida will do an acre for $9.25....and thats no BS!