low branches in your way

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jul 1, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

what do you do if you get a yard that has low branches in your way .
    they keep you from finishing in the time its supose to take and i all most had one limb take my eye out. i had had this lawn from the beginning of the year never thought about the branches when i bid it . now that there full of leaves it makes it harder to cut and customer dont want them cut because to cheap to pay .should i just cut them for free.

i do like this yard it stripes nice and i have gotten the jobs down the street from doing this one.
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If I thought it was a hazard, I would cut them off.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd bite the bullet and cut those low branches off. Is it worth
    loosing an eye? I have a couple of older customers that didn't mind me cutting off their low branches, but they didn't want to pay for it
    either. I did it anyway for my own safety & it makes it a lot easier
    to mow. ED
  4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

You've hit on one of my biggest annoyances. I clip them off when they're in my way and usually charge only a modest pruning fee for it. Last week, a limb actually made me mow a crooked line.:eek:
  5. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

usually if I hit my head more than once on the same branch(dohhhh!!) I'll cut it. Safety glasses have come in handy several times.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sell them the benefits of trimming (like it will help the grass out by allowing more sun to it, and tell them that it is already depleting) Then you can trim the stuff, make your job easier, and make more money everytime you come in and cut. The sooner you do it, the better as it takes more time everytime you come in and cut, and you have to mess around with all that trimming and stuff. Just don't do like I do, and say "Oh, next time." Every time you go in to cut!!!
  7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I would cut them. But first ask the property owner, this will show them respect and allow you time to explain the hazard it poses for you and as other's mentioned better sun for better grass. If only a few branches do it for free. If it is a prune job then ask for money for the job due to time involved.
  8. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Id Just go out there in the middle of the nite and cut the %$#$er down

Was that me? I know its to late now but I try to do the light tree pruning and I meen LIGHT during Spring and fall cleanups.
  9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:D Runner- you hit the nail on the head. I thought that I was the only one that does this :D
  10. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

This is probably my BIGGEST pet peeve. I think it should be a federal regulation that there should NOT be a shade tree with a canope less than 6' from the ground. I have been hit in the head, face arms (even got a scar on my arm). I have finally learned to slow down under trees!!