Low Budget Retaining Wall Material?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BSDeality, Jun 29, 2003.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'm building a Unilock patio for my parents around the new pool that was just installed. on the far side of the pool there used to be a deck, so the grade is a little low. Now there will just be a walk around that side of the pool and there is going to be a considerable drop in grade. Max height is about 16-18" while the lowest will be around 6". We're looking at the unilock retaining wall material, but it quickly add's up in cost (which isn't a problem) but they don't want to spend big bucks on that side of the pool where no one will ever see it.

So, is there a low budget material i can use other than plain old rock and building one with mortar?

2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

All Unilock plants have seconds sales twice a year. Ask your sales rep about them. They don't want to sell to installers unless they are for themselves or family/friends. They do not want installers putting seconds as if they were firsts. The Pisa is about 1/2 price. Same wall, just the color is wrong from when they are changing out the colors. People have camped out overnight at the plant in Ohio:dizzy:

Good Luck.

Rex

3. BSDeality

ah yah, i've heard of that, my uncle actually did that for his patio now that i think of it. I'll give them a call about it tomorrow. thanks for the idea.

4. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

maybe I am not understanding your post but if the grade is only 18" it seems a load of topsoil could be spread to make the area easy to mow with little effort.
    Dennis

5. BSDeality

topsoil is the last resort option, but we want to have it as flat as possible.

6. BSDeality

also, the pool is 43ft long, plus its kidney shaped so that adds a little more length as well. It'd be quite a few triaxle trucks to fill it in too.