Low Cost Advertising?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mattslawns, May 11, 2012.

1. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd call the police and have you cited for littering.
    Seriously - I wouldn't put up with people throwing stuff onto my property.

I can't believe some people think that this is anything other than "wrong".
    That's even lower than putting crap on people's windshields in a parking lot.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

We have those community mail boxes with a key on our streets. Someone plastered ours with business cards. I took all of them down on our box but I suspect it is a good way to go. Maybe a little tacky but perhaps effective.

3. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

i still say just tape good flyers to their mailboxes. or paperboxes. i know entire companies that run off of this.

you are only going to get about 1 percent or a lil less return on them, maybe better when the economy gets better, but. print24.com will get high quality ones to you for real cheap.

so this advertisement is for us little folk who dont have enough work to say our time is worth 40 bucks an hour all of the time.

i know its been argued, and will be argued again, but this is NOT illegal.

I have read the law many many times, slowly , and carefully. it is not illegal unless you put them inside the mailbox.

that said, they will call you and threaten to give you a ticket. im sure they have even done so and people without knowledge have even paid the ticket. if you want to avoid the hassle..... put them on paperboxes, then on poles, then lastly on the side of the mail box.

4. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

good thing i dont care what you think. :rolleyes:
    it works for me and ive never had the police called.
    AND i get a boat load of work....

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

It's not about what "I" think. It's about the unprofessional nature of what you are suggesting.

I just wouldn't want others thinking that your suggestion was a good one without considering the big picture.

I've seen and participated in discussions on this topic before and I've never once found that the general consensus was that throwing garbage in people's driveways was a good idea.

A large newspaper publisher here started doing something like that. They would send some clown around in the wee hours of the morning tossing rolled-up "sale papers" into every driveway. It made the neighborhood look like crap and to make matters worse, they began to pile up on some properties. Complaints were made and that practice was stopped.

Feel free to continue to not care what I think. :)

6. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a good idea. never had a complaint i do it once a year iand increase revenue every single year. :)

7. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

wait, this guy is serious?

you do realize that you can put them on paper boxes much much faster right? good idea or not you are taking more time to do the same work

8. Hansen's Lawn Care

Hansen's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Not sure if your question was answered yet...but you can get addresses by looking online. Google search your county tax records for properties, it will pull up their full name/address. Looks better having "Mr. Johnson" than "current resident."

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Use your county tax records for address list, you can break it down by neighborhoods street or whatever then just do a mail merge in Word, it's how you get mailing list and can do your own post card campaigns.