1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Low cost but effective compost screeners

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, Feb 3, 2009.

1. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

She is special

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

So I said I would post pics. Here they are. Long story short, jumping through city hoops and a friend in the hospital made the budget go from 600 to 50 and cut the time I had to work on this in 1/4th. I decided to not go with the trummel(?) yet. Oh, and I went with 1/4" mesh for now, but might change my mind on that.

Anyways I threw this together yesterday. Today I tested a couple different ways to work the compost through the screen. I think I am going to rig some wires to pull the mesh up and down with a foot peddle. It looks like it is going to be pretty slick even for a one man operation.

So I still need to add the wire. I am also going to add a couple guides to keep the compost from falling between the totes. Any suggestions are welcome. :)

IMAGE_320.jpg

IMAGE_321.jpg

IMAGE_322.jpg

IMAGE_324.jpg

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

use the sawsall to pull it up and down:laugh::laugh:

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not real sure where you are going with this JD. Seems to me it would be incredibly labor intensive to screen enough compost for landscape applications.

5. pt03

pt03 LawnSite Member

If you could find one of those roller doohickeys that they use for loading beer cases onto trucks to put under the totes it would make it real easy to slide them out. I've seen them at the scrap yard on occasion. Other than that, give 'er a try and see what you get.

Here is what we are building now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laj2006/3366590750/sizes/l/

Lloyd

6. pt03

pt03 LawnSite Member

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

as always Lloyd your one of the ones to look up to, you even have my deepest respect!!!!! nice work man

8. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice Screener Lloyd...Does the screen vibrate???

9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this Idea In my head to make a screener that moves rapidly back and forth ,Not up and down

10. pt03

pt03 LawnSite Member

Yup she shakes pretty decent. We had to fiddle with the engine speed to get the optimal shake. Seemed just above idle worked the best, anything faster smoothed itself out. The compost was still pretty damp but it screend it out pretty well.

We screened all of the stuff from 2007 in about 3 hours and that included a 1 hour shutdown for a busted hyrdraulic hose on the tractor. Used about 2 liters of gas in the screener engine.

We used tarps to cover the screened compost and let the overs just fall on top of the tarp. When the pile under the screener was full we just pulled the screener back three feet, unrolled the tarp some more and kept going.

All in all a decent project costing about $400 bucks not including the tarps. We are going to paint the stand this fall now that we know it works. I'm thinking International red?

Screener and windrow

Lloyd:canadaflag: