Low cost but effective compost screeners

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, Feb 3, 2009.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Doppstadt 720 Trommel :laugh: dont worry Kiril you will see.............

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Yeah I have drooled over big machinery like that for a while. This is a pic of my main supplier. The pic is over a year old. You can see they have one screener in there, I think they have more.

supplier.jpg

3. Mr. Nice

Mr. Nice LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Considering the size of that electric motor I think we are both right?

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

You are probably right for most situations, but I have a unique reason for wanting it screend down to smaller sizes. I have tried to find a way to efficently mix compost in my hydroseeder for seeding applications. The cheap compost with larger pieces simply causes more cloggs than its worth. 1/8 inch compost seems to be pretty acceptable. Screening down to that size can be a problem, but I think I have the moisture problem figured out.

Two options. One, add a brush attachment to rub against the outside of drum as it turns, this will pull the small particles thru the screen. This works on moist clay dirt and should work on compost.

Second option, spray more water and make a slurry. This would wash the small particles thru the screen, but would require doing quanities in advance and letting the material dryout before appying to a lawn. Even if used in the hydroseeder, handleing the extra weight of wet compost isnt my ideal of a fun day. Not to mention the possible loss of nutrients. Wait, make compost tea with the extra water.

5. treegal1

you should be able to get a small1/16 size if thats what you want to do..............

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone interested in one ton bulk sacks of 1/8" screened worm castings delivered at economical pricing? Save your labor and time. Great for topdressing, planting, tea making.

7. treegal1

that's a large screen for casts???most I have used are a little smaller.360$ a sack???

8. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Bill,
    I am going to call you, was a bit busy today.

9. treegal1

what are you going to call him???

ok so back on track, low cost try and find some wood say some 2x4's and some wire mesh, maybe some 1/8 mesh??

then stand it up on legs, and let gravity do the rest????? average labor can shovel about a yard or 2 an hour???

body extra.jpg

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, in your case I definitely agree, 1/2 is too big unless your using a fire hose ;)