LOW COST WAYS TO STIMULATE BUSINESS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slider53072, Apr 2, 2001.

1. slider53072

slider53072 LawnSite Member

Ineed ideas to kick some business my way I talked to people and passed out fliers to about 2000 houses and still my phone is not ringing what am i doing wrong??? I would be happy if people would at least call for estimates or at the very least inquire about my services

[Edited by slider53072 on 04-02-2001 at 02:41 PM]

2. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

That was a spin off qoute from Field of Dreams, an excellent movie...

"If you build it, they will come!"

I would imagine the season is just about to get underway where you are way up north. Give it time. When people smell the spring air and everything greens up your phone should ring. It may even ring more than you want.

I have gotten 3 calls on the 250 flyers I put out this year. (That is a good rate of return) The first call came 2 weeks after I put them out. I have a friend that is getting calls from flyers he put out early last season. Be patient, they will call.

Good Luck and Keep the Faith!
    Mark

3. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

I'm not really an expert on this subject, but I do remember somewhere way back in an old post (by some of the old hands) you will have a success rate of +/- 10/1,000 flyers. Meaning that you'll receive roughly 10 calls per thousand. With this, I have to ask when you passed them out and to what demographic? If it's been awhile you might hit the mow shops, local shopping publications, real estate agencies, friends, garden shops, etc. and ask to leave a flyer/card for referrals. Also, if you're really set in working a particular development, shave, shower, get a solicitation permit and canvass the area and ask if they received your flyer... also, don't forget a lot of illegitimate cos will be dropping come 100+ degree heat, so that may stir up some more business. Good luck!

4. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

After the 3rd week of mowing, people get tired of doing their own yard. When they see you mowing someone elses yard or driving your truck, they come running for your service. Just make sure your truck, trailer, and crew have your company name and phone number on them.

5. L&B

L&B LawnSite Member

This is our first year in business and instead of personally passing out flyers to homes we had flyers inserted into a weekly newspaper that surrounds us at least 100 miles. They have their delivery areas divided into routes and we got to choose what areas we wanted them delivered to. We sent out 1000 flyers on 3/28 and I've given 6 estimates so far.
    Just an idea.
    B

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

All very good advice here. Don't forget about the cheapest method, a basic Ad in the local paper. Try to offer some incentives, even if it's only "Free Estimates".
    Also the more services, you offer the more calls you'll get.

7. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

slider53072, I think a lot of this advertising has to do with timing. If the weather in your area is not to pleasent than that might play a big factor in why you have not got many calls. I have passes out flyers on chilly rainy days and never got a call. Passes out flyers on a warm sunny day and have got calls. People seem to think about thier lawns more when it warms up and the sun is out, @ least that is what I've found out.

You might want to look over your flyer and check for errors in spelling and your presentation(MY SPELLING IS AWESOME).
    In the last 2 weeks I have picked up about 5 customers because of flyers. Hang in and don't get frustrated, keep passing them out and your phone will ring.

8. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Low cost ways to get customers. Little tricks of the trade.

Instead of putting out 2000 flyers, put out 5000 flyers, then 10,000 if need be.
    Offer freebies (one free mowing)
    Put your flyers out on Wednesday or Thursday.
    When you do work, do it on Saturday. When everyone can see you. (Speak to everyone as they walk, jog, or drive by) Have flyers ready to pass out when they stop to inquire.
    Don't get desparate and undercut. Just bob and weave and use your jab. Let the season come to you.

Ding!Ding! Round Two.......... GO GET EM

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

summit is dead on this, once people see the grass is growing they will wait a week or 2 until its 8 inches high then call so they don't have to pay for an extra week, also once they start to do it them selfs they say i make enough to have someone come in here and do it. most people now adays would rather go golfing and spend time with family and friends than do yard work, just be patient, the calls will come and when they do you will be begging for more daylight and more equipment because you'll have more than you can handle. trust me on this one happens every year.