1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

low flow cutters

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by perkhound, Sep 23, 2007.

1. perkhound

perkhound LawnSite Member

does anyone have any experience with any of the low flow brush cutters
  2. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

I had a Bradco 72" Brush Cutter on my Low Flow S185. It worked well as a cutter, but was a little heavy for my machine. I was able to bog it down with heavy brush. It would mow grass well, but a group of saplings would be too much for it. My S185 has 16gpm of flow if I remember correctly. I guess it depends on what you are going to do with one. They will definitely work on a low flow machine. I am sure they would always work better on a hi-flow machine.

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

60" would have matched up with your machine and worked better.
  4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

a few weeks back i did a job where i had to rent a brushwolf cutter and ran it off my dingo. it was only 48" wide but what an amazing combination. had no trouble cutting up to 2" saplings and thick briars. i think JD hit the nail on the head. get the width for your machine and you shouldn't have any problems.
    good luck,
  5. perkhound

perkhound LawnSite Member

I am going to be using it on a 864 bobcat.
    The one I have looked at is only 4' wide and has carbide teeth
  6. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

I looked back through my records and I did have the 60" machine. My same comments apply. 72" would have never worked on my machine. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking at something with carbide teeth then a brushcutter(large mower) isnt the same thing like what the others are talking about. I have a 72" quick attach brand brush cutter on my T300, and it kicks a$$. I have never run one of the mulcher heads on it as its a low flow machine.
  8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

The only low-flow mulcher I've heard of is the Gyro Trac. There may be others. As much as mortal skid steers and track machines struggle at mulching, even with the high flow, I would think trying to mulch with a low flow machine would be mostly a waste of time and money.

Productive mulching really requires 100+ hp and a bulletproof cooling system for the engine and hydraulics. Even the best skid steer-based systems are going to be a compromise.

YellowDogSVC has a much better idea about the specifics of it than I do. Maybe he will weigh in.
  9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree with Site Solutions. I think a mulching head with low flow would be a waste of time. It only makes money if it is productive. Remember when it comes time to bid jobs your productivity and quality of mulch will carry the day. I don't see how running a machine on low flow will do that.