Low gear with Perma Green ride-on???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, May 1, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Who uses the low gear when utilizing their PG ride-on???

Just curious if anyone does.

Reason: It takes longer than other methods. We actually cut the lines to the low speed nozzles, cuz they made no sense to us. This also removed the right angles (restriction of flow).

Just curious, and why would PG offer this???

Okay -- I've seen Scotts Lawn Care use ride-ons on 3000 sq.ft. lawns.
    To me, this does not make much sense. Lots of granular mess to blow off + still having to spot spray the edges??? Takes a long time.

What's your oppinion?

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

the only time I use low gear is going down a hill! never for spreading or spraying. I doubt if PG could get a transmission with just one gear?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Once in a while I use it, and I always use it for loading onto the ramp. It is just easier on the transmission that way.

4. americanlawn

from midwest

Yes that's why I like hydrostaic trannys. No wonder why commercial lawn mowers sell 'em (exclusively). It's just coimmon sense. duh Too bad PG hasn't realized this???

Weird, but true. No matter what previous posters have implied saying a "constant speed" is a good thing.

They are banking on the fact that their battery does not shell out, and that their speed is constant. They are living in a "dream world".

Best case + herbicide coverage = one inch apart. duh

Then there's the edges.......curbs, etc.

Oh me oh my. Results matter in the customers' eyes -- especially when they call back for service calls due to weeds missed.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I must be missing somehting. I use low all the time on mine, Iv'e only used the high gear on a couple large properties (over 50K) everything else just has too many small areas and larger areas on the same lot to use the high gear over all of it. Too much of a pita to keep changing the rate each time.

I only have used it to spray on larger properties. Much easier to use a BP on small lawns or the tank sprayer and drag a hose.

Maybe with this next round (need to be doing that now) I will try high gear out a little more...

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Huh? You show me a PG that sprays leaving coverage one inch apart, and I'll show you a machine that is not setup right or not operating properly. You run mine on pavement, and I get full wetting coverage 9-11 ft. wide.

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm with you, i get full coverage, and mine is stock, just bought the upgraded flojet from PG to handle the ester herbicides better. as far as low gear, loading and unloading, and a hill or two that i have to walk behind it.

8. profigala

profigala LawnSite Member

Yep, same here, i dont have any problems. I only use low for loading.

9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I use low for trim spraying. It works well.

10. americanlawn

from midwest

We use low for loading and going down slopes too.
    Also for spraying heavy patches of small-leafed weeds -- creeping Charlie too.

We now get better coverage (droplets are about 1/4 to 3/8 inches apart. Much better than before.

We're getting one PG Ultra back tomorrow from the repair shop...I hope they installed the motorcycle battery we gave them. We'll see.

Today, I talked to a competitor. His large size Z Spray (had 2 tanks on it)was stuck, so I asked him how they liked it. He said "it sucks". ??