Low Head Drainage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ed G, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

I have one head in the lowest corner of my yard that is draining a zone.

Do you all recommend installing a check valve, is there some type of adjustment or should I just leave it alone?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

In Florida sand? Not likely to be a big problem.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If it's causing a big problem you can put a check valve on it but you then may have it occur with the next lowest head in that zone. If it continues and the wet spot gets bigger the valve may be experiencing "weep-by" which can only be stopped by repairing the valve.
  4. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

the drainage eventually stops. I would guestimate that there is 8" vertical drop between first head in zone and the last.

I installed the rotators on one zone and had it fired up for the first time yesterday. I have to admit, seeing those 7 heads in action is pretty cool!

I also learned on another zone that it's extemely easy to cut flex pipe too darn short.

I'm cutting off and reattaching 5 fittings this evening. :rolleyes:

By the way, does anyone know if you can get replacement blades for the Ridgid scissor type pvc cutters?
  5. PurpHaze

If it's unacceptable then try a check valve. Some spray pop-up sprinkler bodies come with them already installed but you pay for what you get. :)

Very good to hear.

Advice for future: Cut long and then recut to exact length. :laugh:

All ratcheting cutters have replacement blades available. I don't know about inexpensive scissor-type ones though.
  6. PurpHaze

Ed... Gotta leave for work but I may be emailing you later this week with a CAD problem. We just got the new 9.0 version of RainCAD and I'm having problems with my large format printer recognizing large paper sizes from the program. We have the one based on DesignCAD 3D and I know you run AutoCAD at work, but figure you might still be able to steer me in the right direction even though they're different CAD programs. I'll make the email as technically inclusive as I can so you'll be able to understand the problem better.
  7. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

yea, that's the dumb thing - I did cut it long to begin with and ended up hacking way too much off when I was burying the head in a bit of a downward slope.

I had such a sharp bend in the hose, I didn't get a good glue joint and it blew the head off the hose when I opened the valve.

Oh well, that's how we learn!

I bought 100 feet of hose, so I have about 20 feet left over. No biggie.

At this point I'm very comfortable of working with pvc.