1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

low low or not???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I put this on Plowsite, and go almost no help. (I did get a few posts) So, I hope I'm allowed to try here again.
    OK.............So, for plowing residental small driveways, what are the plusses and minuses of using standard 4wheel and low low. Guy's tell me low low doesn't heat up the trans and is easier on it?? What say you guy's.
  2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

switchless do you get plow business magazine they just had a article about extending trans life when plowing i'll read it again and repost tommorow goodnight
  3. Doc Pete

Or you can just email me.......
    Anyway, thanks a bunch......
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends.

If its DEEP enough to use 4 LOW, I will.

Problem is, you have to stop to shift out of LOW into HIGH.

Benefits of HIGH....When there isn't much snow, and say your plowing residentials....The streets are plowed and somewhat bare. In 4 HIGH, you can flip in and out between 2 HIGH and 4 HIGH on the fly so you don't bind up on dry pavement. Cant do that in LOW. (most modern trucks anyway).

Also, anytime I used 4 LOW, I feel like one snap of the throttle and I could break things....WAY too much torque multiplication. Especially with a couple ton of weight being toted around.

If the going is tough, and you sense your riding your torque converter and slipping it, go to 4 LOW. If not, I just stay in 4 HIGH.

Also....3.73 to 4.56's, LOW is not really needed.

Under 3.73's you may need it more.
  5. Doc Pete

Nice:cool2: .....Really good info....... thanks, this is more what I'm looking for.