Low noise equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by -, Nov 21, 2000.

1. Guest

Does anyone know which brand of blowers, edgers, and string trimmers has the lowest noise output?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I no echo has recently come out with a line of quiet back pack blowers.... I assume there alot more money though.

3. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

it seems that to get less quite equitment you would have to sacrafice power? is that right? Have you tried hearing protection? thats always an option.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The Shindaiwa handheld blower has a 67dbA rating and the EB480 backpack has a 69dbA rating. I think most manufacturers have some type of low noise equipment.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I recently aqquired a Echo PB46LN blower which had a 65db noise rating. The machine was very heavy, around 25 lbs. Since I wear hearing protection and we have no max noise regs here I removed all of the sound deadening from the machine. It is now under 20lbs.

6. If you want a quiet blower, go with Solo's new model Model 470 . The Solo company invented the backpack blower back way when, but shindiawa, redmax, sthil are better known products. The Solo does have some quite impressive numbers for a quiet blower.

As toddman35 was saying or asking, when you go to quiet models, you do sacrafice some power. The technology however is catching up.

In my area that I work, more cities are either making new ordinances about how much noise your machine can make or banning them outright. If noise is an issue in your area, i would compromise and go with the quiet models. I can tell you that I will never go back to the most powerful models unless their noise level is at the 62db that my toro is.
    John

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a shindaiwa eb480. Its quiet, but its like using a toy compared to my eb630. Wear ear protection.