Low Noise Trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lawnman15, May 15, 2008.

1. lawnman15

lawnman15 LawnSite Member

I am a home owner, looking toward purchasing a trimmer. I have heard that Honda 4 stroke trimmers produce low noise compared to a 2 stroke. Are there any other trimmers including 4 stroke and 4 mix trimmers that are just as quiet or better?

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Sheep are extemely quiet, and are extremely "green" too.
  3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

This 2-cycle-trimmer-noise topic seems to be reoccurring lately, and it baffles me.:confused: A Homelite I once had was indeed noisy and it smoked badly. But the 2-cycle Stihl I bought last year has neither defect, and I suspect the Redmax and Shindaiwa are similar. I don't run my trimmer at full speed, and at the speed I do, it's not really noisy. Even if I do squeeze the trigger to max RPM, it doesn't sound too loud. It doesn't produce a lot of smoke either. I think you would be doing yourself a favor if you demo a few trimmers before you buy rather than rely on someone else's sensitivity to noise. You may find, as I did, that the new 2-cycles aren't that bad.
  4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

2-cycle trimmers are designed to be run full-bore or nothing. Doing anything else builds up carbon in the muffler screen. (i.e., pulsing the throttle)

Some are louder than others.
    Demo some at local dealers, and demo the 4-stroke units also.
    I used to sell Husqvarna, and they had 2 4-stroke models; one straight shaft and one split-boom (attachment-style trimmer). The attachments from one Husky model fit all the others that took attachments. (edger, short- and long-pole polesaw, tiller, short- and long-pole hedge trimmer, and sweeper attachments).
  5. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I've heard that story, but I don't believe it and have not yet experienced it to be true. On the other hand, I do believe a 2-cycle engine can be run at full bore without harming it. And I do that for my chain saws, blowers and hedge trimmer. But not for my string trimmer, because I haven't seen much need to. Even a weak, battery-powered string trimmer can hack weeds. In younger days I rode motorcycles with 2-cycle engines, and I certainly couldn't operate those at full bore 100 percent of the time. Well, I guess I've seen kids on TV doing that when in competition, but I suspect that most of the 2-cycle motorcycles in use today don't really run at full bore all the time.
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The 4 Mix is a great 4 cycle unit that is pretty quiet and I think you would enjoy the little amount of smoke produced by them. I love the 4 mix and after using them I would never buy a small displacement 2 stroke again unless it was in a model plane. The 4 strokes just have more torque, they are quieter smoke less and better fuel economy. Now with the 4 strokes you do not need full throttle all of the time, though they are designed to be used that way. With my KM130 I run it at about 1/2 throttle most of the time, when I hit the tough stuff I open her up (Plenty of reserve power).