Low PH

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vipermanz, Mar 8, 2002.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the quickest way to bring up a PH level of 5.0 to 6.5?, Anything faster than calcic or dolomitic limestone??:confused:

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing fast, you just gotta start.

3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Vipermanz - lime takes about 3 to 4 months for lime to adjust or effect the soil pH. The lower the pH reading, the more acidic the soil - expotentially. Therefore according to calcualtions you might figure you need 150 lbs of lime per 1,000 sq ft. However, you can't practically add this much lime all at once. Do not go over 40 to 50 lbs per 1,000 in one application. By math, this would mean you have to do three applications. Knowing that it takes 3 to 4 months to incorporate itself, and you don't want to put lime and fert down at the same time, you really have a two to three year process practically speaking to adjust a very low pH to appropriate levels.

Bottom line, pH is no quick fix. Bringing a pH down with sulfur is even more difficult/time consuming. Be patient - and don't expect over night miracles.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Exactly what lawnLad said.

5. Commander

Commander Banned

Hi, I might not know all that much (being new to this site and all) but what about a product such as slaked lime, or burnt lime? Be careful though as these products are caustic (hungry for water) and may damage your skin.

6. vipermanz

i guess i'll start lime on it in about 2 weeks when spring starts up:) applying it every 6 weeks until i get close to neutral

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

How do you know what the PH is? Did you have a soil test done? Do you have a GOOD tester?

8. Commander

Commander Banned

LawnLad, just how do you figure that it will take 150 lbs of lime per M to raise the pH to 6.5 from 5.0? According to my books it should only take 70.3 lbs per M to do the trick. If you wanna figure in for burned or hydrated lime then it should only be around (3) 10 lb apps.

9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

For the sake of giving an example, I pulled numbers out of my b#$%. We use the recommended rate that appears on the soil test report for each property. They have a chart for how much life per acre/square foot to apply depending on current pH level and what the desired pH level is. Sorry to mislead.

We currently use CLC Labs in Columbus for our soil testing. 614-888-1663 or clclabs@aol.com

10. vipermanz

Eric, i bought a testing kit .