Low pressure on one zone

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dennistnt, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dennistnt

Dennistnt LawnSite Member

I have one zone where the 4" pop ups barely rise. All other zones work fine. I timed the water meter and the "bad" zone used 17gpm, but the heads in this zone only require 9-10 gpm. A few other zones showed 13gpm at the meter.

The electrical tested fine. 24v at station in the timer and 43 ohms resistance at the clock and the solenoid. I switched out the entire top of the valve to rule out the diaphragm, but no improvement. I also checked the exhaust port below the solenoid and it wasn't blocked.

A few of the wiper seals were loose so I replaced these heads and still no pressure increase.

I also put a pressure gauge on the head closest to the zone valve and it only reads 20 psi. The yard doesn't have any dry/brown areas so it's difficult to tell if there's a leak in the zone piping.

It seems like there's an obstruction in the zone piping, but maybe I'm missing something.??

At advice/input much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You're not going to get much help on this forum. I'd suggest the H.O. forum; too many variables for us. I'd think, from the the hip, you're overzoned. :waving:

3. Dennistnt

Dennistnt LawnSite Member

Thanks Mike. I'm new to this forum. What's the H.O. Forum?

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It's the "Home Owners" forum, and sometimes you guys can figure the problems out. Did the zone ever work?

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If the zone is putting out 17 gpm, but it's designed at 9-10 gpm, then you have a leak. Sometimes a leak is not immediately noticeable. Remove the heads, cap them off, then you'll find the water surfacing somewhere.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Totally agree with the newly wed, got a leak my friend.

Capping the heads will help you narrow it down.

Nice job with the information, prolly one of the better that i have read.

7. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

are the head nozzles fixed or are they adjustable? you can always shut them down if they are adjustable, or replace the nozzles with adjustable (if applicable) and wait for a leak...i do agree, definitely a leak..

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Well, he could do that. But I prefer he do it the hard way :)

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Standing up in a kayak?

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

what he said. Take off your boots and take a walk.